Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rookusux
Reel Rookie

Subtitles keep turning on. A fix for the symptom, not the underlying cause though.

Jump to solution

I have 6 Roku devices this is beyond annoying; if not fixed I will sell them all and I will NEVER buy another Roku product. Someone should fix the issue and not flag this useless reply as a solution to the problem.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Re: Subtitles keep turning on. A fix for the symptom, not the underlying cause though.

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue a few weeks back, and I found that the culprit was a casting app called Web Video Caster. I contacted the developers and they verified this after testing it, then said that they'd try removing the bug. I switched to a new casting service. If you're using WVC or a similar app, it might be the source.

View solution in original post

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Re: Subtitles keep turning on. A fix for the symptom, not the underlying cause though.

Jump to solution

You're welcome. I know how it feels. I thought it was a Roku problem too, and I was all set to leave Roku myself just a few weeks ago. That seemed unbelievable, because I love Roku, but I just couldn't stand those captions. Then, after I got a little help from Roku support, I sort of traced my steps and realized what was going on. 

This was the video that I shared with the WVC developers. I switched to XCast.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rookusux,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused. This is not what we aim for. For more information about enabling/disabling closed captioning, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

Please be advised that most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Check inside each channel's settings and disable captions on each. Some channels have their own caption settings that are separate from the system settings.

Channel providers manage their content programming, including closed captions and subtitles. Reach out to the channel if changing the captions in the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
rookusux
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have done everything suggested and even cancelled a subscription to River tv becaue I thought it was the culprit(it didnt help). It is a Roku issue and they should fix it or take it up with the apps they approve for use with their devices. It is beyond annoying trying to watch somthing and the subtitles continuously pop up. I am soon going on message boards, twitter and store sites to leave poor reviews for ALL Roku devices I have purchased and general discussion groups.  I know I am only one customer but as I can see this is an on giong issue you are ignoring I am sure there are more. 

Bot replies or fan boy answers are not what I am looking for. Fix the issue... period.

0 Kudos
Va1kyrie

Jump to solution

For captions permanently OFF:

1. Home > Settings > Captions > Captions Mode > Off

2. < Settings > System > Power > System restart

* It has nothing to do with channels, Captions default system settings are set to 'On always' > TV enters Standby mode, therefore can't write the changes

0 Kudos
rookusux
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunatley this did not work either.  I did it on all my devices (4 tv's different manufactures, a 4k stick and a 1080p stick) and they all reverted back to "always on".  Thanks for the suggestion. 

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue a few weeks back, and I found that the culprit was a casting app called Web Video Caster. I contacted the developers and they verified this after testing it, then said that they'd try removing the bug. I switched to a new casting service. If you're using WVC or a similar app, it might be the source.

rookusux
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! My son uses the app to cast and now he won't! I appreciate your reply.

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You're welcome. I know how it feels. I thought it was a Roku problem too, and I was all set to leave Roku myself just a few weeks ago. That seemed unbelievable, because I love Roku, but I just couldn't stand those captions. Then, after I got a little help from Roku support, I sort of traced my steps and realized what was going on. 

This was the video that I shared with the WVC developers. I switched to XCast.

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I've found that XCast doesn't load on-demand videos quite as well, though. I've tested some of the same clips on both apps. Perhaps it's my connection. Hoping that the old WVC comes back, or that something else comes along.

0 Kudos