Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCP1
Binge Watcher

Streaming device for 720p

Jump to solution

I'm a recent cord-cutter and just purchased the Ultra device for my main TV (4k, smart). I love the UI with YouTube TV.

I have "dumb" 16-inch TV in the kitchen - rarely used, but like to have it. The display is 720p. I have a firestick for the YouTube TV, but the UI is clunky - too many steps to get to a simple Live TV Channel (example - ABC network). Question: since I love my Ultra, is there anything a Roku device can do for this TV? I'd just give the firestick to a friend, but wondering what a Roku device can add (if anything)....   and which one?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming device for 720p

Jump to solution

@MCP1 If the TV has an HDMI input any Roku device shouldl work.  I would recommend a Roku Streaming Stick 4k or a Roku Express 4k+.

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MCP1 

I think it really is just a personal preference.

Personally, I prefer the set-top streamers (like the Express 4k+) as opposed to the Streaming Sticks.  I think they perform a bit better and dissipate heat better.

Due to the fact that Roku offers a free HDMI extender for their Sticks (to address the potential heat issues) and also the fact the Stick uses a proprietary long-range wireless receiver power cable (LRWR) that you must purchase from Roku if it ever breaks/fails just makes me avoid the Stick units.

If the power adapter or cable breaks/fails on one of the Express or Express 4k/4k+ models, you can run down to Walmart. Best Buy, etc, and buy a standard micro-USB for a few dollars and you are back in business.

This Roku developer link will at least let you see the hardware specs between the units.  All the newer Roku devices discussed in this thread/price-point are pretty similar. 

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Extender = HDMI extender.  Sticks supposedly plug directly into an HDMI socket, but there can be problems: The stick may not fit if the TV’s sockets are recessed, also there may be heat and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) around the socket.  Any of these results in wanting to move the stick away – by using an HDMI extender.  (Which is just an HDMI cable with a female socket on one side.)

External Wi-Fi receiver is the dongle that comes with the Stick (Sticks only – other Rokus build the Wi-Fi into the box.)  probably designed this way, due to the potential RFI problems I mentioned above.

Connector is the connection of this Wi-Fi dongle to the Roku.  You see stories of these breaking, getting loose, falling out.  I suspect that this is often at least partially due to users plugging everything in, and then just letting it hang however it happens to hang.  A little Velcro back there might prevent issues in the future.

Banned but back. Because why not?

0 Kudos
MCP1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

THANK YOU so much. This is so much clearer now and makes total sense.

Really appreciate.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MCP1 If the TV has an HDMI input any Roku device shouldl work.  I would recommend a Roku Streaming Stick 4k or a Roku Express 4k+.

MCP1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If the TV doesn't have 4k (720 only), what would be the benefit of getting one of the 4k options vs. the Express? Is it because the latter doesn't have the TV control? Thanks!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@MCP1-

The basic (non-4k) Express is the budget, bottom of the line model. 

The 4K models are overall better units. The Express 4K+ and Streaming Stick 4K have faster processors, twice the memory, and 4 times the channel storage, for just a few dollars more.

The basic Express is the only product in the line that still comes with a direct line-of-sight remote that connects by infrared and controls the Roku functions only.  The rest come with point-anywhere remotes that connect via WiFi, accept voice commands (except for the Streambar SE), and can be configured to control the power, volume, and mute functions on many TV brands.

Now, at least, the non-4K Express finally does have support for dual band WiFi like the higher models have had for years.

With anything other than the bottom end Express, you'll be future proofed should you ever get a 4K set you can use it on.  Now, at least, the non-4K Express finally does have support for dual band WiFi like the higher models have had for years.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
MCP1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Very helpful - thank you!

So the basic / Express is out of the running!

Am I correct that only the stick allows the user to control both the TV and the device, meaning I don’t need to use both remotes? This one would be the tie-breaker, as managing 2 remotes is a nightmare.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@MCP1-

[Slightly edited]

Anything other than the bottom end non-4K Express  comes with a WiFi with buttons for TV power, volume, and mute controls.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
MCP1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hmmm. Is there ANY diff in how the 2 diff 4k models (Express 4k and stick 4k) will operate? It's really not a $ issue (only $10-ish difference), but rather just want what'll give best UI and speed. 

Kitchen TV is Insignia™ - 19" Class LED HD TV; Model: NS-19D310NA19; SKU:6164904.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It's worth ten bucks more to get the Roku Stick 4K if money isn't an issue. It's faster and works very well. I have two of them and have never had any major issues. I have a Roku Express 4K and I don't like it as much and the Pandora app won't work on that model. Roku won't addresses the issue even though it's been ongoing for a long time.

0 Kudos
MCP1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks so much. Very helpful. I think I’ll go with the stick. Just wanted to ensure I wasn’t missing anything good / unique with the Express 4K.

thanks again!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@MCP1 

I think it really is just a personal preference.

Personally, I prefer the set-top streamers (like the Express 4k+) as opposed to the Streaming Sticks.  I think they perform a bit better and dissipate heat better.

Due to the fact that Roku offers a free HDMI extender for their Sticks (to address the potential heat issues) and also the fact the Stick uses a proprietary long-range wireless receiver power cable (LRWR) that you must purchase from Roku if it ever breaks/fails just makes me avoid the Stick units.

If the power adapter or cable breaks/fails on one of the Express or Express 4k/4k+ models, you can run down to Walmart. Best Buy, etc, and buy a standard micro-USB for a few dollars and you are back in business.

This Roku developer link will at least let you see the hardware specs between the units.  All the newer Roku devices discussed in this thread/price-point are pretty similar. 

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.