Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlyingPencil
Reel Rookie

Streambar interconnectivity issues with Panasonic Viera TV

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've just bought a Roku Streambar to improve the sound on my Panasonic TV (less than 5 years old).

Unfortunately, when viewing "normal" TV, such as Freeview (UK) and terrestrial channels, the sound is still coming from the TV, not the Streambar.

The TV does not have an HDMI ARC function, so the IR cable is being used in conjunction with the HDMI cable. So I have already checked the help files and it mentions that to connect to a Viera TV, the following actions need to be done for CEC:

Panasonic (HDAVI Control, EZ Sync, or VIERA Link for CEC)

• CEC steps:

1. Press the MENU button on your Panasonic remote.
    2. Use the directional buttons to highlight Setup.
    3. Press the OK button.
    4. Select HDMI control.
    5. Select CEC function.
    6. Select ON.

OK, fine, but there's no "CEC function" that I can see under HDMI control. Have I now invested in a soundbar that only works with certain configurations? Or is there a workaround?

The sound quality from the Roku is a vast improvement over the tinny TV audio, which is not great when you have tinnitus, so I would like to see it work on the TV channels.

Any help is much appreciated.

David

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streambar interconnectivity issues with Panasonic Viera TV

Jump to solution

Make sure the optical cable is fully seated at both ends.  With it plugged into just the TV you should see a red light at the other end of the cable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FlyingPencil
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

A quick update: the TV is a Panasonic TX-32DS500B and from the original invoice it does mention "2016 model".

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @FlyingPencil,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for your inquiry.

If your TV does not have an ARC port, you can still use your Roku Streambar to get exceptional sound from your TV's built-in tuner and other devices connected to your TV, but you will need to connect a second cable. In addition to the HDMI cable, you need to connect an optical cable to your TV's optical output, sometimes labeled "Digital audio out" or "Digital output". This connection carries TV audio to your Streambar, while the HDMI connection delivers video from the streaming player in your Streambar to your TV. If you need to use the optical port, visit the settings on your TV to make sure the output is active or enabled.

Additionally, if you are not sure your TV has an ARC port, you'll need to consult online or the TV manuals to help find settings for the optical port. Since you're not using an ARC port, use the Premium High-Speed HDMI Cable to connect your Streambar to any available HDMI port, and connect the included optical cable to the digital audio output on your TV.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FlyingPencil
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your response, however, I did explain in the original post that the TV is not ARC enabled so I did use the additional IR/optical cable as per the instructions in the Roku manual. That's not the problem ...

The problem is whether the TV can enable the audio on the Streambar. At present the only sound I get when viewing the normal TV channels (NOT the Roku) is through the TV's speakers, not the Roku Streambar. Using the Roku channels the sound is fine.

In my original post, I mentioned that my Panasonic Viera TV does not have the option to enable CEC function, although it does support the optical cable. If you re-read my original post it is all explained.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Make sure the optical cable is fully seated at both ends.  With it plugged into just the TV you should see a red light at the other end of the cable.

FlyingPencil
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Many thanks, @renojim 

That solved the problem. The plugs on the optical cable are so tight in the socket, it probably wasn't making a good "connection" (I assume if it wasn't pushed in far enough, it would be out of focus?)

Anyway, one happy bunny and excellent sound for my TV, at last.

Kind regards,

David

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@FlyingPencil, happy to help!  Yep, the first time I used an optical cable I was surprised at how hard I had to push and how far the cable had to be inserted.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.