Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Same Roku channels keep getting updated every time an update is run

Jump to solution

Starting on Monday of this week (09/04/2023), my Roku Ultra 2017 has not been updating correctly.

(Note: Roku Ultra 2017's get channel updates when a manual system update is run. More recent Roku's only get channel updates when a channel is launched.)

When I run a manual system update under Settings -> System -> Software Update -> Check Now, channel updates are performed as expected. However, when checking for updates again later, some of the same channels get updated. They continue to get updated again when manual system updates are performed. If a manual system update is run immediately after a previous manual system update, it may show that everything is up to date, or, it may update only one or a few of the channels that continually get updated. But, if some amount of time passes (I haven't checked this exhaustively, but it's at least as long as 20 minutes or more), then all of the same channels get updated again.

Currently, the following channels on my system will get an update if a manual system update is performed every 20 minutes:

- CNN
- Discovery Life GO
- Science Channel GO
- The Criterion Channel
- AMC+
- iHeart

Troubleshooting tried so far (none of the below had any effect on the issue):

- Remove problem channels, update, reboot, update, re-add problem channels, update, reboot, update.
- System has 32GB microSD card inserted, I removed the card, re-formatted it, re-inserted it, and let Roku re-format it.

The above channels' version numbers stay the same after these updates. The channels do launch and appear to work normally.

- Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version
Device Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number: YJ00A4777475
Device ID: CK386A777475
Software OS/Version: 12.0.0 Build 4184-46
GC Version: 10.0.527

- Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel
This issue occurs when performing a manual system update under Settings -> System -> Software Update -> Check Now. At the time of this writing, the following channels are affected:

- CNN v3.1 Build 3217
- Discovery Life GO v7.0 Build 16
- Science Channel GO v7.0 Build 16
- The Criterion Channel v8.320 Build 1
- AMC+ v1.2 Build 9
- iHeart v3.15 Build 0

- Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
75-360-942 (Timestamp: 2023-09-08T15:42:14Z)

- Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
On a Roku Ultra 2017 (mine has a 32GB SanDisk Extreme microSD card inserted), add the following channels:

- CNN
- Discovery Life GO
- Science Channel GO
- The Criterion Channel
- AMC+
- iHeart

Wait 20 minutes, and then perform a manual system update under Settings -> System -> Software Update -> Check Now. On my device, the above six channels update again. Waiting another 20 minutes and performing another manual system update will cause the channels to update yet again, and so on. The channels' version numbers stay the same after these updates. The channels do launch and appear to work normally.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Re: Same Roku channels keep getting updated every time an update is run

Jump to solution

Seems to be fixed now!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Re: Same Roku channels keep getting updated every time an update is run

Jump to solution

Seems to be fixed now!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.