Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevel4989

Roku turns off after hours being used

I recently bought a roku for my parents to stream Spectrum on. They wake up and watch tv randomly during the night but each time the wake up the roku has turned off or turned the tv off. Is there a way to have it continually stream without turning off?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku turns off after hours being used

@stevel4989 

Couple of things going on.

First, Roku has a Bandwidth Saver feature turned on by default. That stops streams after four hours of no user interaction. If you don't want it to do that, turn off the Bandwidth Saver feature. Settings > Network > Bandwidth saver

Next, there is a power setting that some Roku devices have. Not all have it, and I don't know how to tell which do and which don't without actually looking at the menu. My primary Roku doesn't have it, and I'm not near a secondary device. But, I think it's under Settings > Power

Together, these can impact the way the device does things, and get what you're getting.

Now, there is a possible third thing. Some apps have their own time-outs that are independent of Roku settings. I don't have the Spectrum app, so I don't know if there is an inactivity timeout settings. Some apps have that, and some simply have a set timeout that you can't do anything about. It's up to the app developer.

Try the first two things and see if that resolves it. If it does, great. If not, it may be that Spectrum has its own inactivity timeout. But the second thing (power) may stop the "off" (which isn't off, just in a standby mode).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Roku turns off after hours being used

FYI @DBDukes 

All the new Realtek RTD131x SoC-based models have the new "Auto power savings"/"After 20 minutes of no activity"setting @

Settings/System/Auto power savings/After 20 minutes of no activity

Models: Ultra LT/Ultra (480x), Express 4K/4K+ (394x), Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (382x)

All future RTD131x SoC-based models will also have the setting as well.