Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iamnpk
Channel Surfer

Roku not responding to Alexa

I recently bought 2 Echo Dots and set up the Roku skill. The device I set up in the living room works with the Roku Ultra connected to that TV fine. However, the Roku Ultra in my bedroom will not respond to that bedroom's Dot. When I ask Alexa to do something, Alexa responds that she's doing it, but nothing happens on the TV and then she says she couldn't complete the command after a few seconds. Everything looks to be set up correctly in the Alexa app: bedroom Dot connected to bedroom Roku. Can someone help me troubleshoot?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku not responding to Alexa

@Iamnpk

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Iamnpk
Channel Surfer

Hello,

Here's the info you requested:

Model: 4660X2 (Roku Ultra)

Serial No.: YJ0054255314

Device ID: CK4875255314

Software: 10.5.0 build 4208-46

Issue ID: 14-117-463

In this instance, I asked Alexa to "launch YouTube TV on Roku", but no command works for this Roku (pausing, resuming, etc.)

Thank you for your attention to this matter!

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Iamnpk  Did you properly setup the Roku in Alexa commands? There are several steps to make sure Alexa know what to do when you ask her. Even setting my lights took several steps and commands. If you look in your history of Alexa activity you will see if it triggered an action. Works on my TCL Roku TV just fine. Usually this involves creating a routine and settings up a command 

0 Kudos
Iamnpk
Channel Surfer

I set it up the same way I set up the one in the living room (through the Roku skill in the Alexa app and linking the specific room's Roku to the applicable Echo Dot directly) and that one works without issue. So, I expected the 2nd Roku to work the same way...I'll check the activity, good idea. But did you create a routine as a workaround for the Roku skill not working for your TV or did you do it by preference?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Iamnpk  Here is the point. Alexa and Google home are great. But they don’t necessarily work with all products. I ended up disconnecting my Roku TV’s from my Alexa and bought a Roku voice remote pro. Works incredibly. Roku’s has basically designed a whole ecosystem. I also have the Roku wireless speakers and subwoofer. You will always run into incompatibility issues. But to spend days and weeks trying to figure out what’s going on just isn’t worth it. I would say Alexa turn the Living Room light on and she would turn on my Living Room Roku. And having a couple of times so I just disconnected it because it’s not worth the aggravation

0 Kudos
Iamnpk
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep it in mind! I just bought a 2nd Roku and a 2nd Echo Dot, so I'm not inclined to spend another $30 right now, though. I don't intend to add additional smart devices in the near future, so I'm hoping to fix the glitch with this Roku without me having to make additional purchases. 

0 Kudos
Iamnpk
Channel Surfer

UPDATE: It's working now! I stripped everything down in Alexa and then re-enabled the Roku skill. Apparently, there was some naming glitch between Roku and Alexa.  Thanks to everyone for your help!!

Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Iamnpk As I stated it was within the Alexa app routines. Setting up these routines and commands can be tricky. 

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

I wouldn't respond to Alexa either. Smiley LOL

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos