Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
urushi

Roku makes my 10 year old flatscreen look WAY better

Before I got the Roku Stick, I was streaming everything on my PS4. The Roku stick noticeably makes my 1080p dated tv look so fresh and crisp, and I've actually put off buying a new tv now. When I go back to the PS4, everything looks so muddy and old and awful and I just can't go back. How is the Roku able to pull such a great image out of my tv? And why does the ps4 look so awful
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku makes my 10 year old flatscreen look WAY better

@urushi 

There are some different settings for gaming consoles depending on whether they are being used on dedicated console/gaming monitors or whether used on televisions. (gaming modes).

If you are getting a washed out look with the ps4, try changing the RGB settings on the PS4 itself.  Normally, using PS4 on a television, this setting apparently should be set to Limited.  Others have found they need to switch it to Full. (Depends on the TV which is best).

Try messing with the various settings under Video Output Settings on the PS4. ( Home > Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > RGB Range)

----

I recently had to do this while setting up a family member's PS4 and simply toggling the RGB options solved issue. (https://www.howtogeek.com/295569/should-i-use-rgb-limited-or-rgb-full-on-my-playstation-or-xbox/).  Switching to Limited from Automatic cleared up and added color to the distorted pale picture.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.