Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

@SoCalChris wrote:

How about if they brick your device because you don't agree to some new policy that they unexpectedly force on you on a whim over a random weekend? 

Your device isn't "bricked". They have made it a pain to use, and I can't get to the settings menu without the message appearing again. But pressing the Home button (not the Back button) numerous times will clear the message, and then you can get to any of your installed channels. The message will reappear when you return to the home screen, but you can again clear it and continue using it. Yes, it's a pain in the rear and they really shouldn't have done that. Hopefully someone will wise up at Roku and rescind this stupidity. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Busdoggy

Re: I don't agree to Dispute Resolution Terms update. TV now unusable. Now what, Roku?

Where do I file for the refund on my now useless TV?

Azuravian

Re: I don't agree to Dispute Resolution Terms update. TV now unusable. Now what, Roku?

I read the new terms and they do have an opt-out in section L.  It requires you to send a letter (snail mail) within 30 days with a bunch of information.  Sending that means you are not under the new arbitration rules, which should be illegal in the first place.

I've used a Roku for well over a decade and am now looking at other options.  I refuse to support a company that tries to remove customers ability to sue for redress if necessary.

0 Kudos

Re: Class Action? Anyone Interested

I am down! 

0 Kudos
Dianne42
Reel Rookie

I have a truly ancient Roku 2 and this hasn't happened yet.  In my opinion, if Roku disables a device in this manner, then essentially they have willfully damaged your device and you should be able to return it for a refund.

If my Roku 2 is willfully damaged in this fashion, I shall request a refund from Roku and move to an open-source platform like Kodi or something similar.

SuzanneP
Reel Rookie

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

Well done.

Also, they have us right where they want us.  I actually saw a broadcast where the "elites" were contemplating how to (essentially) enslave the rest of the population.  One responded by saying something along the lines of "that's easy, we'll get them focused on "something" "and held up his phone.

Look around you...everyone is constantly staring at their phones.  Roku and all other companies know this and are hedging their bets that we'll accept their nonsense so that we can continue to watch their **bleep**.  Why not stop watching TV (garbage) and go outside.  Exercise, start a hobby, volunteer or read a book!

Also, do not invest in products that rely or "cooperate" with other products to function properly.  In many cases, smart TVs that come complete with Roku or other streaming services will push their self-serving nonsense on the consumer and because you have made an investment in that product, you most likely will not decline.  Keep your eyes open and your options favorable to the consumer.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Dianne42 wrote:

I have a truly ancient Roku 2 and this hasn't happened yet.

It's unlikely any version of the Roku 2 would receive this message. Only one model of Roku 2 (4210) is still supported, the others all now considered legacy and no longer supported. And the 4210 is nine years old and actually doesn't work with all available Roku channels. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Dianne42
Reel Rookie

It's unlikely any version of the Roku 2 would receive this message. Only one model of Roku 2 (4210) is still supported, the others all now considered legacy and no longer supported. And the 4210 is nine years old and actually doesn't work with all available Roku channels. 

Well, that's good to know!  I'm happy with my Roku 2 and will keep using it until the hardware fails or it's so old that it stops working.

0 Kudos
TB88

This is reprehensible, and I will not be purchasing any Roku products again.

As others have said, there is a provision in section L for opting out by sending a letter, which I will be doing. 

I have also submitted a complaint with the FTC and my state's consumer protection agency, and I encourage others to do the same.  

CarolF17
Reel Rookie

Re: Did anyone else notice Roku retroactively changed terms and conditions

My Terms and Conditions came up yesterday.  I didn't read it and immediately went into my home screen and clicked on Spectrum. It wouldn't open. Tried my other apps. None of them opened. Not even the Roku Channel. The only thing that worked was the "Live TV"   The last 2 days I have corresponded with 4 different Roku staff on the chat line to try to get a resolution to my problem.  Two of the staff people have disconnected me from the chat line and I had to start over. Very frustrating. I still do not have access to my apps on the TV nor the mobile app,  I am able to watch my other streaming services on my other TVs so it's obviously a Roku problem.  

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.