Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shmitchell400
Channel Surfer

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

No resolution still on my end. I tried rebooting, power off, remote app. Roku still have not called me back since yesterday 

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

>Your device isn't "bricked". They have made it a pain to use, and I can't get to the settings menu without the >message appearing again. But pressing the Home button (not the Back button) numerous times will clear the >message, and then you can get to any of your installed channels. The message will reappear when you return >to the home screen, but you can again clear it and continue using it. Yes, it's a pain in the rear and they really >shouldn't have done that. Hopefully someone will wise up at Roku and rescind this stupidity. 

This does not work on my TV. 

ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Re: [Discussion] Roku Dispute Resolution Term Update

>

>An opinion (which would not be legal advice) on this situation from a professional familiar with consumer >contract law would be interesting, including how this affects customers who have already opted out of the >arbitration agreement (which Roku has published for several years), and what limitations exist on where and >when Roku can exercise their claimed right to change the terms and conditions every seven seconds (or >more frequently) and attempt to limit customers' rights when doing so.

>As a reminder, Roku is not the only company doing this. Expect to see more soon.

I'd love to read the ruling where any judge in the US stated that changes to terms of service are enforceable any time than the time the contract is established. If Roku wants to update the contract, they can ask, and the end user can decline, and they will still have to provide services previously contracted on their end. 

So far as I know, all they can legally do is terminate access to the service, but they cannot lock you out of your own physical hardware. The software does not require internet connection in order to access non-roku features of the TV and Roku, Inc. has not removed this capability from customers who already paid for it. 

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Re: [Discussion] Roku Dispute Resolution Term Update

>It took me all of five minutes to fire up my device, grab the info (from Home, go to Settings ---> System ---> About), and draft the letter. My Roku was a gift so I have no purchase receipt. I included model name/number, serial number, device ID, and current system software just to be thorough.

What right does Roku, Inc. have to task me, a non-employee, with busywork in order to retain my legal rights? I will do nothing, and absolutely retain my legal rights. Roku cannot materially change the contract after purchase.

Contract law requires all parties to be on equal footing.

- If Roku wants me to spend my time doing anything outside the original contract, they need to compensate me for it.
- If Roku can post a material change in contract via a GUI button, then I can respond via email. Emails are legally admissible evidence in the United States, despite what they've stated in their notice, the end user has ZERO LEGAL OBLIGATION to contact them via a method of their choosing.  They cannot post a material change in contract and in that verbiage require you to follow a process you never previously agreed to. Regardless, I strongly doubt failing to submit such request by snail-mail would result in a judge dismissing any such case provided Roku was provided notice by alternate method. 
- Roky has no authority or legal standing to commandeer a user's bought and paid for hardware and then deprive them access to it. The time for Roku to try to make any such contract terms was at the time of sale.

Shmitchell400
Channel Surfer

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

@Snwari thanks for providing the terms because I could not get past the agreement screen. Do you know if sending the snail mail with my personal information on it will give me back access to the TV? 

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Re: Class action laws--t against roku.

I'm on-board. 

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Re: Class action laws--t against roku.

Just being realistic. IMHO the chance of this ever being resolved the way you want are slim and none. For example, computer software. Don't agree to the terms? You can't install and use it. As I've said before this kind of terms of use is pretty much standard. So, good luck.

Actually, back in the '90s when EULAs first started getting distributed with software there was a suit over this. The courts ruled that the company cannot force you to accept a contract in order to install software you already physically purchased. IE EULAs are unenforceable. 

I'm willing to bet same applies here. Company cannot remove access to an owned device under duress to sign an updated legal contract that only benefits them. 

0 Kudos
eidsvik

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

It worked! Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Vfull

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

What devise are you using to cast to the TV? 

0 Kudos
Erickson

Re: Dispute terms resolution update

This seems to be a CA thing only. I talked to other people and there isn't a issue.  Why are we being singled out?  I better not see a bill next month!

0 Kudos