Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmbaird
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra after build 4178 keeps turning the TV back on after I turn it off

Out of the blue my TV started turning back on after turning it off. I checked the software update and it had just updated early that morning to Version 12.0.0, Build 4178. I notice when I press the off button on the Roku remote the TV turns off, then after some seconds the Roku blue indicator turns off, but shortly turns back on, and then the TV comes back on. I assume this has something to do with HDMI-CEC. I turned that feature off in my Samsung TV settings, but this also turns off the sound bar, so no good. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
groovyjoker
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra keeps turning on

Same problem here, and it just began - note we have owned are Ultra for about 6 months. This may be related to an update. You state "As long as it's not turning on the TV or presenting some other issue, you'd be better off forgetting about it than waiting for Roku to get it figured out."

Not good advice for a company. This IS turning the TV on. And the 20-minute sleep mode just turns the screensaver on. This is wasting energy by keeping the TV on - presumably so Roku can sit and wait for updates? This results in a hot (overheating) Roku. And this is very annoying. I am lucky this is not happening to my older Roku in the bedroom - I cannot imagine this problem occurring at night, keeping us awake. I think the Roku would be tossed in the trash in minutes. So, no waiting here. Figure it out, solve it, or this piece of plastic is going back to the store and we will look at a different product. Consumers don't wait for companies - companies serve consumers.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @groovyjoker,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your feedback and we’re sorry you're having trouble with the Roku Ultra. We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. 

Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing?
  • Can you please provide the Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details so we can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra after build 4178 keeps turning the TV back on after I turn it off

Hi @gmbaird,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device and we would be happy to look at what we can do to help you to make sure we are providing the best streaming experience but we need more details. 

Please help us with the below information to proceed further:

• Roku device model, serial number and device ID (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • TV brand and model number
  • Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar with your TV/Roku player setup? If yes, have you tried directly connecting to your TV to see if you are seeing the same issue
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gmbaird
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra after build 4178 keeps turning the TV back on after I turn it off

Thank you for your response. Here is the information requested:

Device Model: 4800X-Roku Ultra

Serial Number: X01000WHHGF2

Device ID: S02A216HHGF2

Software OS/Version: 12,0.0 build 4178-C2

TV Brand and Model: Samsung UN75NU6950F

I am using a Bose 500, Model 424096 soundbar. The Roku is plugged into HDMI 1 on the TV, and the Bose soundbar is plugged into HDMI 2. No other devices are plugged into the TV either directly or through and A/V receiver.

I created a tracker after shutting the TV down via the Roku remote on/off button. The TV initially shuts down but turns back on within a few minutes. It does this every time as currently set up. I did disable the HDMI-CEC feature in the TV's setup and that did stop the set from turning back on, but the soundbar didn't come on.

With the HDMI-CED reenabled, I unplugged the soundbar's HDMI plug from the TV. This seems to have stopped the "turning back on" behavior, but of course no soundbar.

So, is this a coincidence that this behavior started the day of the latest Roku update, and the problem lies with the soundbar? Or are the two not playing together nicely?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @gmbaird,

We appreciate you for following up. Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

We'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
groovyjoker
Channel Surfer

• Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing?
    • When we turn the TV off, the Roku device turns itself back on
    • When we turn the Roku device off, the Roku device turns itself back on
    • The only way we have found to stop this is to disconnect power
  • Can you please provide the Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
    • We have the box and receipt. This is a Roku Ultra KD/4k/HDR Model 4800X, SN S02A208G2SEL
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
    • Tried the powersaver, but it turns itself on anyway, even after the powersaver kicks in. The powersaver keeps the TV turned on, shows the Roku screensaver, and shortly after that, the Roku comes back on, and the Roku Homescreen appears. This occurs within a timespan of 40 minutes.
    • Turned off One Touch Play
    • Restart/Rebooted
    • Disconnected the power cord (works of course)

This is a recent issue, started less than one week ago. This is NOT happening with our older Roku model, which is in the bedroom. Thank God for that, because if it started turning on our bedroom TV in the middle of the night, that Roku would be in the trash in a matter of seconds!

0 Kudos
groovyjoker
Channel Surfer

One other thing - we also charged the remote.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @groovyjoker 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community and providing us with your device information.

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Your patience and understanding in the meantime is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
groovyjoker
Channel Surfer

Thanks, right now we have plugged in the Roku Ultra to a power strip, which we shut off - a pain, and the power strip in unsightly in front of the TV, but until we get it resolved, or return the Roku, whatever it takes to keep our Roku, and our Bose soundbar turned off. (We noticed the Roku is also turning on the Bose Soundbar).

I understand there was an April 29th update. That is about the time this problem began - but only with our Ultra. The older model with our bedroom TV does not have this issue.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.