Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baka2k23
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra 4K Media Streamer with Remote & Headphones light does not turn off

Hi there, I have a Roku Ultra 4K Media Streamer with Remote & Headphones and the light on the device never seems to turn off. I have performed a software update, have turned on bandwidth saver and always hit the home key before turning off the remote to ensure I am exiting an application (ie: NF or YT). Any fixes?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra 4K Media Streamer with Remote & Headphones light does not turn off

Hi @baka2k23,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you want to turn off your Roku device, is that correct? We will do our best to assist you with your inquiry.  

Please be advised that Roku streaming players are low-power devices designed to remain on and always connected to the internet. There is no “power button” to press on or off.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: Can I power my Roku® streaming player on or off? | Official Roku Support Canada

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
baka2k23
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra 4K Media Streamer with Remote & Headphones light does not turn off

Thanks Mary. I was referring to the light on the front of the box. The light initially goes off and stays off for a few seconds or minutes and then just turns back on on its own. Is there a way for the light to remain off rather than turn back on on its own?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @baka2k23,

Thanks for the follow-up question.

To answer your concerns, Some Roku Streaming models will remain turned on which means the light of the Roku device will also stay on. However, if your Roku device has an auto power savings feature that allows the player to automatically save power under certain conditions. 

You can use the following steps to disable auto power savings.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power
  5. Select Auto power savings
  6. Check the box next to After 20 minutes of no interaction

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
baka2k23
Channel Surfer

I forgot to mention that I had that setting turned on and could actually see the countdown to power off/standby mode when leaving the TV idle for 20 minutes. I find it odd the device would turn off when hitting the power button on the remote but then turn back on again without any user interaction. Is the device faulty? It was only purchased in December so I would be open to having it replaced while under warranty. Please let me know.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@baka2k23, Roku devices don't turn off.  That power button is strictly for the TV.  The behavior of the light has been flaky for the last few software updates, but whether it's off or on doesn't mean a whole lot.  It should go off when the screensaver activates or it goes into power saving mode.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
baka2k23
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the info. Power saving mode and the screensaver are both enabled on the device but the light does not seem to go off after it mysteriously turns on on its own. Hopefully a future software update addresses this but I wont keep my hopes up.

0 Kudos