Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elucidator
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra (4640X) Stuck on Recovery mode

I have the same 4640x Roku as the other posters and it is also stuck in a boot loop. I tried the suggestions you previously outlined. Updating, factory resetting, unplugging for 10 seconds, trying different HDMI ports or TV's... Nothing is working. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@JCameronHollis I was pretty sure you knew about it. My info was simply for education purposes for other users. I agree it is odd that so many players were affected at the same time, so hopefully Roku can identify what the issue might be. The newer player is most likely due to a different reason, as it uses a completely different chipset from the older devices, and just a coincidence that it happened at the same time. But then, stranger things have happened. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AJurgens

I started having the issue with model 4640. Any solutions?  Was this just a bad software update? Or a technique to get folks to buy new devices?

judyneric
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra won't recover

Count me in with another 4640X that stopped working very recently, and just has the dancing ROKU letters.

The letters bounce for 27 or 28 seconds, then the device tries to reboot, repeat ad nauseum.

If it was an update that caused this, did they brick our devices?  I don't think it'll be possible for them to send a fix since the Roku can't get into a state where it can receive the fix...

0 Kudos
aamilo

Add one more to the list of reboot loop stuck 4640x units.  Sure seems like Roku was the cause of this issue.  Hope they can fix this.  If not, I might have to look elsewhere.  I have three Rokus (two are newer) but really only need one since the other TVs are smart tvs.

0 Kudos
elucidator
Reel Rookie

I got mine to finally fix itself by unplugging, holding the reset button down for like 30 seconds to discharge any residual power, and then -while holding the reset button still- plugging it back in and finally releasing the button after 10 seconds. It went into factory reset after that.

This was not the first time I tried this so just keep at it and maybe it'll work for you too!

0 Kudos
JCameronHollis
Channel Surfer

Hello Judy,

Does your 4640X eventually land on the Recovery Mode screen?

If not, you may have a different issue. Search the Roku Community site for your specific issue. If you're unable to find the specific issue with your player start a new post.

If your 4640X player is displaying the Recovery Mode page and you're not able to recover after attempting to update, then restart, and then factory reset, a Roku Community Moderator should be contacting you via PM. If you do recovery use please update this comment so the moderator knows your issue is resolved or unrelated.

If this was an update issue and Roku is working on a fix, it is possible for Roku to send out an update. From the recovery mode screen we can connect our players to Wi-Fi/Ethernet in order to update our players. Therefore if Roku does manage to fix/patch the issue affecting 4640X players it may be possible for us to recover use of our 4640X Roku Ultra devices.

Good luck.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
judyneric
Channel Surfer

Hi, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

My 4640X wasn't entering the recovery page, just had the bouncing ROKU letters.

However, my issue is fixed (at least for now).    I tried the solution posted above by elucidator

I pressed and held the reset (on bottom of device), inserted power plug into Roku, bouncing letters appeared, and held the reset for around 20 seconds from there. 

Eventually after the bouncing ROKU letters, the language select screen came up, and I had to re-register the device.  I had to proceed to set up as if was a new device, and none of my app data is stored from before, but it's working.

Thanks JCameronHollis and elucidator!
0 Kudos
judyneric
Channel Surfer

Thanks elucidator!

I tried your solution (but held reset for approx 20 seconds after bouncing letter logo showed up) and it booted into the setup screen, and I could set it up from there.  It didn't have any of my old data, but it is working again.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
aamilo

Glad to see you got it working, it’s giving me hope.

I am making some progress, I can regularly get to Recovery mode now.  It takes four or five reboots and gets there.  However nothing in recovery mode seems to work.  I tried update now and it just rebooted and rebooted until it got to recovery mode again.

Then I tried Factory reset and it ask a few things and then reboots and reboots,  but then comes to a screen which says it’s going to reinstall the software.  Sadly that doesn’t seem to work, it just reboots again and again until we are back to the recovery mode. 😞

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.