Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecrissey

Roku Ultra 2024 Question about supported wifi protocols

I have an old Roku 3 and I am considering upgrading to the Roku Ultra 2024.   On the page it mentions that it supports WIFI 6.   It makes no mention of the older Protocols.   I have an older router that only supports WIFI 5 (802.11ac).   My question is will the Roku Ultra 2024 work on my router or will I have to get a newer router before I can get the Roku Ultra 2024?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra 2024 Question about supported wifi protocols

@ecrissey 

The new Roku Ultra 4850 will still support all the older protocols a/b/g/n/ac and now ax.

You would of course need a new router only if you want to take advantage of the wifi6(ax) speeds and benefits.  Otherwise, your wifi5(ac) router will still work with the Roku Ultra 4850 and can use n/ac on the 5ghz band.

As a general rule, any new protocol will be backwards compatible with the previous protocols.  As long as you don't exclude the older protocols in a router (ie. setting "ax-only" rather than "ac/ax" in a wifi6 router) then both wifi5 and wifi6 clients can communicate with the router.  In your particular case, the wifi5 router will simply recognize it's b/g/n/ac capabilty and operate as usual like it did with your previous Roku device. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.