Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aliceetben
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3800X Stuck at Checking for new software

Jump to solution

Hi guys !

Support has indeed contacted me and asked for details like internet speed and such. They also asked for issue ID, that apparently you can get, even when stuck in the infinity update loop, by pressing 5 times Home and 5 times Return !

Mine was 45-165-016. I'm curious to know if we indeed all have the same !

X to all of you with stuck roku sticks !

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @mlomas83 @DragonfireX,

We appreciate your time in posting in the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you're seeing with your Roku device that is stuck on software update and all of the troubleshooting you've done.

We would suggest continuing to try to keep checking for an update to see if the device will install the latest update. You may also try connecting to an alternate wireless network to install the update, then when successful switch back to the Home network.

If the behavior continues, review the suggestions for determining What to do if your Roku streaming device is unable to update software | Official Roku Support

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. 

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
taschmidt
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F let's review:

• It's not any of our networks
  • No amount of time or number of tries will let the update check succeed
  • This is a Roku problem
dobbz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It would be really nice if an engineer at Roku actually looked at this post and the attention it is getting.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello Community User, 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you are experiencing getting stuck on the software update. 

If you are seeing the same issue on your Roku device, we recommend you follow the steps below:

• Plug the Roku device directly through the wall outlet and not into the USB port of the TV. 
  • Trying to connect the Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to pass the update?

If still no resolves after following the suggestions above, keep us posted with your device details. 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Confirm that you have followed the steps above
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
StuckOnSWupdate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with a 3900RW. No, it isn't the network or a cable and it's plugged in directly to a power adapter. This is a roku problem.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @StuckOnSWupdate

Thanks for your post. 

We appreciate you checking the recommended steps and we apologize to hear it doesn't help resolve the issue. To help you further, could you provide us with the requested information above?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate closely.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
StuckOnSWupdate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am unable to access the menus to retreive the information you requested. I have done a factory reset on the device; now when it starts the sequence is 1) Roku requests preferred language (I select English) 2) Roku prompts to select wifi network 3) Roku prompts to enter network password 4) Roku indicates successful network connection. At that point Roku indicates it is checking for software update and never progresses from there. I have not found any way to navigate back to the menus or take any other actions. Reseting the device with a paper clip in the hole results in the above sequence being repeated. Rebooting the wifi router or connecting to the phone hotspot does not help, the behavior is the same.

The following information is from the packaging:

Device ID: C4391F817681

SKU#: 3900RW

LOT# 21890355251

0 Kudos
taschmidt
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I swear, they don't even know how their own devices work! 🤣

cc: @RokuNimfa-C 

0 Kudos
StuckOnSWupdate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuNimfa-C fwiw I suspect the problem is on the service side, not the device. Is the service not responding to the device request for new software? Does this problem only happen on devices that have been factory reset or otherwise been offline and not updating for an extended period? The 3900 appears on the list of devices that can be updated, that should include devices that have been factory reset.

Is there a way to update the device via USB from a laptop? It appears there is such a process for Roku TVs.

I suppose I could just go buy a new device for the time this has taken, but that is environmentally wasteful. Also I've never been inclined to re-buy the same brand of anything when I haven't had satisfactory results.