Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Duxa
Channel Surfer

Re: Update 10 broke Dolby Digital playback

@RokuDanny-R 

I already provided this information on page 1 of this thread. But here it is again (below). PLEASE do notice this is a widely reported issue, not some edge case, Reddit threads are full of people complaining, several posts on these forums. Many more unreported because people arent tech savy enough to associate their Roku "breaking" with an update (they probably dont even know it gets updates). And this is terrible news for Roku, as these people will just say "Im not buying another Roku, last one broke soon after I got it".  Please just push back 9.4 version (or allows us to roll back), take your time to figure out this issue, then push 10 out when its resolved. This isnt some 'inconvenience' this is literally ruining family movie nights as 5.1 DD is no longer possible. 

Alternatively, push 10.1 with an option to Force DD 5.1, and disable auto detection. Roku would just spit out 5.1 regardless whats on the other end of HDMI. That would be an acceptable fix for now. Id even be willing to take a beta build if it has a workaround of some sort.

-Roku device model: Roku 4
-serial number: YY0020011508
-device ID: 4U7592011508
-software OS/version: 10.0
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? Any channel that outputs 5.1 Dolby Digital (DTS and Stereo work fine).
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times): 08-170-339
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing: Just trying to watch anything with Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

-what is your audio set to (let us know what is shown in Settings > Audio > HDMI): Dolby Digital/DTS, like I said DTS works fine, DD does not. This setup has worked flawlessly for many years. 10.0 is what broke it. if I set it to "Auto" it just plays everything in stereo. 

Duxa
Channel Surfer

Re: Update 10 broke Dolby Digital playback

Just checked and version 10.0.0.4195 is available (broken version was 4190), after updating the issue seems to be resolved!!!

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound

Purely out of curiosity, why wouldn't you set the audio to passthrough rather Auto Detect HDMI? Logic would dictate that it makes sense to auto detect. That said, I notice nearly all content streams in DD+; is that a bad thing?

I haven't experienced any of the problems you mention since the version 10 update though mine is set differently. 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Duxa
Channel Surfer

@jontalk Roku 4 does not have passthough as an option. I wish it did, not sure why they didnt backport it into that version of hardware seems like a nobrainer would sidestep this whole issue to begin with. So can either set it to Auto, or DD/DTS, in the latter case the issue described by many in this thread happens with garbled sound, so you are forced to use AUTO which would just force stereo instead of DD. Meanwhile DTS works fine.

Good news is that yesterday's minor update as my post above fixes the issue. So back to all working now.. woo!

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Glad to hear it..When I go into the 4800R audio settings there's quite a few options though the HDMI Auto is the recommended one. I notice nearly all content is streamed in DD+ and the recent update appears to have improved the quality too. 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
NWRogue
Channel Surfer

Same problem on 10.0.0.4915-46.  As near as I can tell the problem occurs if the audio bit rate is above 160bits.  No problem with my device until OS 10 installed.  I reverted back to OS 9 a couple of weeks ago and that fixed the problem.  OS 10 re-installed itself today and the problem is back.

Issue is in the Media Player software, when I try to stream movies I've ripped from a NAS device on my network.

Model: 4670X 

S/N YJ008J06907

Software version: 10.0.0 build 4915-46

Device ID: KW99A8606907

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@jontalk wrote:

Glad to hear it..When I go into the 4800R audio settings there's quite a few options though the HDMI Auto is the recommended one. I notice nearly all content is streamed in DD+ and the recent update appears to have improved the quality too. 

For the 4800 the (Default) "Auto detect" transcodes/converts (almost) all audio output to the highest detected Dolby level of the connected device (you really dont want this).

"Auto passthrough" bitstreams audio in its original format (mostly) though it still transcodes DD+ to DD for legacy systems (this is the far more preferred setting).

0 Kudos
sogrady
Channel Surfer

Looks like I got lucky. Roku pushed 10.0 4195 to my Roku Ultra yesterday at 1, and all of the AC3 formats that weren't working for me are fine now. Confirmed good audio - zero pops and clicks - with the following: 

AC3 5.1
EAC3 Stereo
EAC3 5.1
AC3 Stereo

Per @NWRogue's feedback, however, I don't know if the audio bit rate is above 160 bits on any of them. 

Will check back in if the issue recurs, but so far so good with 4195. 

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

Update to OS 10.0.0-4195 did not work for me.  I have two Streaming Stick + devices (3810X).  Both are connected to TVs via HDMI, neither system has audio beyond the standard TV speakers.  Failure is defined as the inability to play an .mp4 file using Roku Media Player (RMP) with audio encoded with AC3 codec (DD) at bitrates ranging from 192 to 448 kbps without severe clicks/pops. 

Both devices worked fine with OS9.4 using settings audio mode "Auto" and HDMI "Auto Detect". Neither device will now work under OS10.0.0 with those audio settings.  Both are detected as HDCP1.4.

Device 1 will work with audio mode set to "stereo" and HDMI set to "dolby digital".  However, a DD audio test file shows that the left channel is not being passed, only R, C, LR and RR.
Device 2 will not work with any existing setting, the television reports "incompatible audio signal", even when HDMI is manually set to "PCM-stereo", so it's clear that RMP is not re-encoding/downmixing to the audio system's capability as it did with OS9.4, but is only passing through DD audio.

0 Kudos