Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyWright
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4K- Mirroring from Windows 11 laptop not working when devices connected to same Network

Jump to solution

I'm trying to mirror the screen from a laptop using Windows 11 to a new Roku Express 4K.

All works OK if the Roku Express 4K isn’t connected to any WIFI network at all.

It also works if the laptop and the Roku device are on completely different WIFI networks (I tried it with the Roku connected to a mobile WIFI network with the laptop connected to my home WIFI network.

However, if I connect the Roku to the same WIFI network as the laptop then the mirroring never seems to work. Either there is a ‘Connection failed’ message on the laptop when trying to establish the connection, or the Roku device doesn’t even appear in the list of available devices that’s displayed on the laptop.

The WIFI Router I normally use at home is provided by Virgin Media and set up with a Guest WIFI network as well as a private WIFI network.

The laptop is connected to the private network.

Attempts to connect to the Roku fail when the Roku is connected to either the Guest or the Private WIFI network.

I have two other Roku Devices (A Roku Streaming Sick+ and an older Roku 3) and mirroring to these devices works fine when they are connected to the same WIFI network as the laptop.

Normally I want the Roku Express 4K connected to either the Guest or Private network (I don’t mind which), and it’s a bit of a pain to have to disconnect the Roku from the network whenever I want to mirror the laptop to it.

Both the Windows 11 laptop and the Roku Express 4K are fully up-to-date software-wise.

Has anyone else come across this problem and been able to resolve it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyWright
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express 4K- Mirroring from Windows 11 laptop not working when devices connected to same ...

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I found a solution to the problem here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/roku-express-4k-no-5ghz-connection/m-p/737689#M2005...

The issue is that the Roku Express 4K isn't able to make use of 5GHz WiFi connections on channels 52 through 140.

I reconfigured the 5GHz signal on my router to use Channel 48 and Bandwidth 20/40 and the Roku connected to it OK.

The laptop now seems to mirror OK to the Roku.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express 4K- Mirroring from Windows 11 laptop not working when devices connected to same ...

Jump to solution

Hi @AndyWright

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If you're having trouble mirroring your Windows 11 laptop to your Roku Express 4K even though both devices are connected to the same network, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

• Make sure your laptop and Roku device are connected to the same network: Double-check that your laptop and Roku device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. If they are not, connect them to the same network and try mirroring again.
  • Check your firewall settings: Your computer's firewall may be blocking the connection between your laptop and the Roku device. Try temporarily disabling your firewall to see if this resolves the issue. If disabling the firewall allows the mirroring to work, you may need to adjust the firewall settings to allow the connection.
  • Check for Roku device updates: Make sure your Roku device is running the latest software version by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now. If an update is available, install it and try mirroring again.
  • Try restarting your devices: Restart both your laptop and Roku device and try mirroring again.
  • Use a different mirroring method: If none of the above steps work, try using a different mirroring method. For example, you can use the Roku mobile app to cast media from your phone to the Roku device, or you can try using a third-party screen mirroring app.

If you're still having trouble after trying these steps, you may want to contact Roku customer support for further assistance.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
AndyWright
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I found a solution to the problem here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/roku-express-4k-no-5ghz-connection/m-p/737689#M2005...

The issue is that the Roku Express 4K isn't able to make use of 5GHz WiFi connections on channels 52 through 140.

I reconfigured the 5GHz signal on my router to use Channel 48 and Bandwidth 20/40 and the Roku connected to it OK.

The laptop now seems to mirror OK to the Roku.