Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tightpurchaser
Binge Watcher

Roku Device Overheating and Apps Crashing Issue

Last week I posted twice about my Roku functioning; and the posts disappeared.  How am I supposed to diagnose and fix anything with this happening in this forum?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Device Overheating and Apps Crashing Issue

Thanks for sharing in the Roku Community, @tightpurchaser.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. To help us understand the issue you're facing with your Roku Device, may you please tell us more about your concern? We are willing to assist you and provide a better resolution.

In the meantime, you may visit our Official Roku Support Website for additional support.

We are looking forward to your prompt response.

Sincerely,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tightpurchaser
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Device Overheating and Apps Crashing Issue

Emman, thanks for getting back.  Now that the heat index isn't so high as the last couple of weeks, My Roku Streaming Stick+ should not be so sluggish.  Since my whole apartment is hot, I don't know what to do about overheating.

For one thing, I only use the default screens, basic screens, nothing more than the word "Roku" when unattended.  What's with this black instead of purple?  At first I thought it was promotion for the TV series Yellowstone.

Then, there are a couple of apps showing free movies and TV series.  They were available when I first added them.  Now they do not come up on a search through the Streaming Store.  Free Classic Movies has an icon of a film reel with a star in the middle.  One stream had too many showings of the same add.  At times I thought it would never advance.  I doubt the developer is maintaining this app.  The same goes for another one, Free Movie Classics.  The icon for this one looks like one of those cards that the director on a set opens and closes in front of the camera to begin shooting.  I had no trouble when I first added it to my home screen.  Now, the links, or icons, for the individual videos do not download.  So, there are blank spaces where there should be a video frame above the title.  Will these apps cause something to crash?

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screwing Around With Posts

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @tightpurchaser.

We want to investigate more about the issue you're facing; kindly refer to the following questions provided below:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
  • Have you tried accessing those channels inside "The Roku Channel" App?
  • Can you please specify all the channels that are affected?

In the meantime, try rebooting your Roku by performing a System Restart (Settings > System > Power, skip to System Restart if there is no power option). You can also refer to this support FAQ on what to do if the red light is on or you see a "Your device is overheating" message to fix the overheating issues on your Roku Device.

Please keep us posted for further assistance.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tightpurchaser
Binge Watcher

The channels I refer to are no longer in your store; so there is no option to remove them and add them back.  Occasionally I check for updates to the Roku OS and the apps.  Thanks for the link on overheating.  I just sent for the extender.

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for your prompt response, @tightpurchaser.

To examine this further, please specify which channels are no longer available. Also, please tell us the Software Version of your Roku Device (Settings > System > About) so we can check if the channels you're referring to are still available to stream on our platform. 

This information will be able to isolate the root cause of the problem.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos