Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sawtaytoes
Channel Surfer

Roku 4800R (also 4802R), does it _actually_ support DTS?

Hi! I have a Roku 4800R and noticed that through both Plex and Jellyfin, DTS content isn't passed through to my receiver. On top of that, any Dolby Atmos feed with TrueHD (not Dolby Digital Plus) is also not passed through to my receiver.

Looking at the 2019 NVIDIA Shield TV Pro, it lists everything supported including:
"Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through)"

But the Roku Ultra page doesn't say anything other than "Dolby Atmos and DTS". That doesn't mean anything to me if it's only DTS-ES from 1999.

When connecting to my receiver in passthrough mode, it shows "Dolby Atmos" and "DTS-HD MA" as supported formats, but what do those mean exactly? Does that mean my receiver supports them or does that mean the Roku can pass those formats through?

And it says "Dolby Atmos". Which Dolby Atmos? Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD?

Is DTS:X included with DTS-HD MA? From what I've seen, those are two completely different formats. Why wouldn't all formats be compatible in passthrough mode?

2 REPLIES 2
Ferqua

Re: Roku 4800R (also 4802R), does it _actually_ support DTS?

I have a similar problem with my Marantz 8805 processor. The output signal on my processor reflects a PCM reception and thus reduces the sound to stereo. This is on Netflix Vikings Valhalla. My system is a regular 5.1. I don’t have Dolby Atmos. I have Wilson speakers with Krell amps. The Marantz processor is about two years old and capable of processing most signals. I have tried Auto and Passthrough to no avail. What am I missing?  Can someone please explain to me the audio capabilities and limitations of the newest Roku Ultra when directly connected to my processor?  Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Sawtaytoes
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku 4800R (also 4802R), does it _actually_ support DTS?

For your situation, your receiver might not be set in the correct mode or on the correct input for 5.1 considering those restrictions. Although, that's separate from my question about DTS support.

If you made a separate thread with your question, I'm sure you're more likely to get an adequate response.

0 Kudos