Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahutche
Reel Rookie

Roku 3 unit connected to LG TV

We have a Roku 3 connected to our LG tv. It has been running great for many years. We do not have a Roku TV, so we can't access a settings menu that will allow us to dim or "UN"dim the picture. Tonight, when we went to the Roku Home page, the picture kept dimming down on us. We went back to regular LG tv mode, and the lighting was just fine. Back to the Roku, dimming down again. We have to set the tv to HDMI1 to reach the Roku home page. So we're wondering if it has something to do with some setting for HDMI1. Now we're headed a deep rabbit hole that we're afraid to enter!

Is there a way we can fix this dimming problem? We can't find anything related to it on our Roku Settings menu.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 3 unit connected to LG TV

Welcome and thank you for joining us here in the Roku Community, @mahutche!

It is highly appreciated that you have raised your display concerns here. Worry no more as we would be more than happy to find you the best resolution possible.

In this case, kindly try to follow the steps provided in this article on How to adjust ambient light sensing on your Roku player or How to disable auto power savings on your Roku player. In addition, you can also try to plug it into a different HDMI port to see if this will make any difference. 

Please let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mahutche
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the quick response I received. I was directed to:

1. Press Home  on your TV remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select TV picture settings
  4. Select TV brightness
  5. Select Auto to enable ambient sensing or select a constant brightness level
  6. Press OK on your remote 

The problem, however, is that I have an LG TV and a Roku 3 connected to it. (Not the "firestick," but the little black unit.) My Roku does not have an On/Off button.

So to get to the Roku main "Home" screen I have to use the tv remote and select HDMI 1, where the Roku cable is plugged in. The minute I do that, the tv screen dims - and that's how it stays when we select something to watch. This has never happened before. And when we watch regular tv, the picture is not dimmed at all. We tried HDMI 2...same result. We can't reach this:: TV picture settings or TV brightness, from the directions because they're not on the Roku menu. HELP.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Have you tried restarting the Roku 3 or simply unplugging the power for several seconds?  Given the age of Roku 3 devices, it may just be that its time has come.  A last ditch effort to revive it would be a factory reset.

How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuCarly wrote:

In this case, kindly try to follow the steps provided in this article on How to adjust ambient light sensing on your Roku player

Carly, the title of that article is How to adjust ambient light sensing on your Roku TV system, not "on your Roku player".   It applies to the light sensor on Roku TVs, but not to Roku players as they have no such sensor.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.