Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musicislove
Streaming Star

Re: Roku 3 - MicroSD Info Please

Jump to solution

sorry to say but 64 might be too big as I am remembering it suggested one smaller that that. Odd I know because you would think bigger is better, but, I am not sure it the ROKU can recognize it if it is too big , let me try and look back and see what I find. good luck.

0 Kudos
d51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks a million Barney I never would have seen that little slot there. Probably could have read the manual, let's keep this to ourselves thanks.

d51

0 Kudos
JeffinCA

Jump to solution

I have a 32G Sandisk microSD card that is not detected. Any thoughts? I saw a few folks say the Roku 2GB card does not always work.

Second question, is the memory card used to only add channels or will it help with the delay when opening up channels (which I see quite a bit)

0 Kudos
RogerC60
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I could not get my Roku to recognize any 16 GB card. It recognized an 8 GB card and works fine with it.

The SD card is not for adding more channels. It speeds up switching between channels.

0 Kudos
JiRuiFu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK.  Here's what worked for me.

Inserted a Kingston 8GB micro sd card, contacts facing up, turned on the Roku and...nothing.

Returned to this forum and read some more.

Went back to the Roku with a very small screwdriver, pushed against the edge of the micro card so it popped part-way out, turned on the Roku and then, with the screwdriver, pushed the card in until it clicked and seated properly. Immediately I got the alert on the TV screen asking if I wanted to reformat the card.  It took about 5' for the reformatting to reach the 100% mark.

Jump to solution

After reading many comments in this section I had just about decided my 32 GB card was too large and that I needed to return it and get 8 GB instead. However one tiny remark solved my problem. All I needed to do was use my thumbnail to finish inserting the card. It only fits in one way and it’s slides in easily the correct way. I had taken it out and re-inserted it several times and never got the format message. This time I simply pushed it farther in with my finger nail and my 32 GB card is working great. Thank you to all who posted your solutions. Such a tiny issue can cause such frustration and gobbles up way too much time.

0 Kudos
1990vfr

Jump to solution

I had the problem with my roku 3, of having a 32 G.B. micro S.D. .. I read further and found that I needed to use a 2 G.B. micro S.D. .. I ordered a 4 G.B. micro after good advice on this message board, saying that the "4" would work.. it didnt work !! .. I then installed the "4" in my camera to have some info on the micro.. my roku 3 still wouldn't recognize the micro.. I tried rebooting the roku.. still nothing.. as last resort, I did the first step of removing the HDMI plug to access the micro port, I then partially installed the micro, then installed the HDMI plug, then using a small screwdriver, I was able to push the micro the rest of the way in.. it worked !! .. it seems, to have the roku recognize the micro, the roku has to be fully connected.. 

0 Kudos
phxrider
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't know what the size limit is, but I can tell you it's at least 16GB as I am using an old Amazon Basics 16GB class 10 MicroSD card without issue.

I would avoid Sandisk based on how many comments I see here saying their Sandisk card didn't work, along with my own experience with one I bought after searching "MicroSD card for Roku 3".

Insert the card with the Roku on - not unplugged, not asleep. If it works, it will ask you if you want to format the card...... if it doesn't work, nothing will happen. Without turning it off, unplug the HDMI cable, push the card in until it clicks in, and plug the cable back in.

If you inserted the card with the Roku asleep, chances are it will say it was unable to mount the card and then you'll end up spending money on another card you don't really need (personal experience here).... just insert it with it on and plug the HDMI cable back in and you should be good, if not, take the card out, power it off and back on, then when it's up take the cable out and plug in the card, plug the cable back in and you should be good.

Reviews on Amazon say this works, 16GB for ~$7.48: Amazon.com: Gigastone 16GB Micro SD Card, Camera Plus 85MB/s, Full HD Video, U1 C10 Class 10 Micro S...

Also this one, 8GB for $5.98: Amazon.com: Gigastone 8GB Micro SD Card, FHD Video, Surveillance Security Cam Action Camera Drone Pr...

jav1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the good information! Smiley Happy will try it out this weekend. jav

0 Kudos
FreeFrog
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I raised this Q a couple years ago, have seen lots of trial-&-error reports & speculations from earnest users, and can't help wondering: Why can't a Roku Rep simply provide a few definitive  straight answers and solve the problem?  A ridonkulous waste of folks' time - ours.
Thanks for your efforts...      _FreeFrog__

0 Kudos