Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJS75

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

It looks like they need to fire a programmer and whoever approved the change. I am now looking for a replacement for Roku devices. I have 3 Roku TVs and 4 streaming sticks for sale on Craigslist.

I know how to find movies, TV shows and New & Popular on my own. I don't need help. If you are looking for things to do, give us an option to Lock the Home Screen.

This is just as stupid as if my car manufacturer decided that I didn't need to roll up my windows and changed that feature with a software update without asking.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your feedback regarding this issue. Please be advised that, currently, we're in the process of finalizing these changes with an upcoming OS update.

Thanks for your interest, and we hope to expand with more features to provide our customers with the best streaming experience.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rubles
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

These new features are making our streaming experience worse not better.  

Suggestion:  Use a What's new menu option for your new features with links for us to opt in to adding to home screen.

Now please let us remove these recent new features.

Ataft
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Stop fixing what's not broken.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RokuJechealR wrote:

Please be advised that, currently, we're in the process of finalizing these changes with an upcoming OS update.

I sincerely hope that by "finalize" you mean making them OPTIONAL, with the default being OFF.

Do this with ANY new feature you add.  You can publicize their availability in your blog, press announcements, etc.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
palarimer

Jump to solution

I totally agree, this new feature is very intrusive.  It's obvious if you use this and content is available on Roku or one of your subscribed services this feature will push you to Roku even if it's available on a commercial free subscription you have, blatant money grab.   This is also very annoying if you have set up a Roku for someone with a cognitive disability like a stroke survivor or early Dementia patient, the change to the home screen is confusing to these users... There may be something to take to the ADA here...

Real_DiRT
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuJechealR The problem is, this curation of content that is meant to get us to watch more does the exact opposite. The more you attempt to intrude, the less I want to watch. I do not turn on my TV to channel surf. That era is dead. You already have a search function that barely works as intended. If it worked better, I would use it more. Instead, you keep pushing more and more into voice (which I don't use), live TV listings incorporating FAST services (which I don't watch), and these intrusive Home Screen updates (like Continue Watching which DOESN'T WORK WHEN YOU HAVE MULTIPLE USERS ON MULTIPLE DEVICES AND YOU CAN'T DISABLE), and now these categories that I will never use and only serve to remind me that I paid you for a device that you won't let me use the way I want to even though you already have my money.

Rome217

Jump to solution

Please allow us to turn these things off. It's beyond annoying to have random things added to the home screen. It's absolutely infuriating not being able to disable them. I can live with ads on the home screen but stop cluttering the selections with things we can't turn off. 

GrumpyOlMan1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, please make this **bleep** go away.  I've got 6 active Roku devices and have been very seriously thinking of switching to someone else's platform.  And, QUIT changing my themes!

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GrumpyOlMan1, if your themes are changing turn off "Seasonal wallpapers" and "Sponsored wallpapers" under Settings->Themes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.