Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do you stop roku inactivity timeout?

Jump to solution

On the ROKU channel a message popped up to "stop the inactivity timeout for this channel" I accidentaly hit yes, but I want it to go back to turnning off after a certain amount of time.   Where is this setting?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @TakeFive456,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand your concern that you want to turn off the message notification to confirm that you are still watching.

We want to perform a few steps to make sure we are providing the best service. 

Here are the steps on how you can disable the prompt for all streaming channels using the instructions below: 

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose Off

Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

To learn more about this feature, check out the article that explains How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap | Official Roku Support

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @TakeFive456,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand your concern that you want to turn off the message notification to confirm that you are still watching.

We want to perform a few steps to make sure we are providing the best service. 

Here are the steps on how you can disable the prompt for all streaming channels using the instructions below: 

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose Off

Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

To learn more about this feature, check out the article that explains How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap | Official Roku Support

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
customerX
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mary this doesn't work for when live streaming that may last beyond what ROKU thinks is long enough.  Why the nanny babysitting for our streaming?  Your recent ROKU upgrade does not allow any power saving timeout settings.  You eliminated that.  Now all we have is bandwidth saver - a totally different control...  

FIX ROKU - we don't need a mommie controlling how low we have live streaming playing.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@customerX, some channels/apps have their own "babysitting" feature that's totally out of Roku's control.  If you've disabled the bandwidth saver and power saver options in the Roku settings then your issue may be with the developer of the channel/app you're using.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
customerX
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Problem is Roku removed the power saver option...No longer available to  end user.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@customerX I just looked at my Ultra 4800 and there's an Auto power savings menu option under Settings/System/Power. But that's not an "inactivity" timer. It is checking for no user interaction if the Roku is just sitting there and not streaming anything. If it's streaming video or music, it is not active. In that case, you have the four hour Bandwidth Saver menu setting, which is also looking for inactivity. But this setting is only in use when streaming is taking place, So both menu items are looking to save power/bandwidth, but do it under different use cases. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos