Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SenorPeaches
Reel Rookie

Question re: Roku Express Compatibility with 2011 HD LG TV

Jump to solution

Hello: I did search this community to see if anyone had posted this question. I've been given a 2011 LG 42LV4400 HD TV. About to be a first-time Roku user and seeking a Roku device to enable ability to access streaming services I subscribe to AND mirror Apple content occasionally. I do not have a cable TV package. I have searched the Roku Community and other resources and am a bit confused on Roku's compatibility with a 2011 HD TV (not smart) with some users seemingly having issues, others seemingly fine. I am looking at the Roku Express (do not need bells/whistles of voice command etc.). Any feedback for this new-to-Roku user for a 2011 LG HD TV (which does have the HDMI inout)???? Will Express be functional?

Thanks in advance, grateful to be able to view movies outside my 13" laptop ;0)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Question re: Roku Express Compatibility with 2011 HD LG TV

Jump to solution

@SenorPeaches-

As long as the TV has an available functioning HDMI input port, any Roku will be compatible with it.

My advice would be to NOT get the bottom of the line budget Roku non-4K Express, currently model #3960.  Go at least for the Roku Express 4K, which is a much more capable unit.  Even if you don't have a 4K set, it will work fine with an HD set and you'll be prepared should you get a 4K set in the future.  Compared to the bottom of the line Express, it has more memory, a faster processor, and perhaps the most important, dual band WiFi that can connect to your router in both the 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi bands (the low end Express only has the older 2.4 GHz band).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm sure you're aware that an ancient device like the LG TV mentioned does NOT support 4K UHD content, current surround formats or frame rates so you're doing yourself a disservice. I have the sense your laptop is Mac and designed with a very high resolution Retina display too. And while I can appreciate being gifted a larger screen, its low resolution and lack of features may be disappointing when using the Roku.

I mention these things in case you have high expectations. I'm a long time Roku user and film buff and love the immersive experience of 4K/Dolby Vision and surround sound formats. Even an entry level 4K TV will be FAR superior to the LG you mention. Whatever you choose, make sure its future proof since tech advances regularly.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Rokus work fine with my 2008 Samsung and can be made to work with far older (pre-HDMI) TVs with a converter.  HDMI is just video and audio – no real “smartness” travels across it.

For a 42” display at typical across-the-room viewing distances, I think you’ll be fine with an HD TV.  My 27” computer monitor is 4K and that makes a big difference, but since it is viewed at arm’s length, it has the apparent size of a 120” TV at a typical family room viewing distance.  That said, the 4K+ Roku adds so little to the price, and comes with other benefits, so I would get the slightly more expensive Roku now and MAYBE worry about a fancier TV in the future.

Banned but back. Because why not?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@SenorPeaches-

As long as the TV has an available functioning HDMI input port, any Roku will be compatible with it.

My advice would be to NOT get the bottom of the line budget Roku non-4K Express, currently model #3960.  Go at least for the Roku Express 4K, which is a much more capable unit.  Even if you don't have a 4K set, it will work fine with an HD set and you'll be prepared should you get a 4K set in the future.  Compared to the bottom of the line Express, it has more memory, a faster processor, and perhaps the most important, dual band WiFi that can connect to your router in both the 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi bands (the low end Express only has the older 2.4 GHz band).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm sure you're aware that an ancient device like the LG TV mentioned does NOT support 4K UHD content, current surround formats or frame rates so you're doing yourself a disservice. I have the sense your laptop is Mac and designed with a very high resolution Retina display too. And while I can appreciate being gifted a larger screen, its low resolution and lack of features may be disappointing when using the Roku.

I mention these things in case you have high expectations. I'm a long time Roku user and film buff and love the immersive experience of 4K/Dolby Vision and surround sound formats. Even an entry level 4K TV will be FAR superior to the LG you mention. Whatever you choose, make sure its future proof since tech advances regularly.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Rokus work fine with my 2008 Samsung and can be made to work with far older (pre-HDMI) TVs with a converter.  HDMI is just video and audio – no real “smartness” travels across it.

For a 42” display at typical across-the-room viewing distances, I think you’ll be fine with an HD TV.  My 27” computer monitor is 4K and that makes a big difference, but since it is viewed at arm’s length, it has the apparent size of a 120” TV at a typical family room viewing distance.  That said, the 4K+ Roku adds so little to the price, and comes with other benefits, so I would get the slightly more expensive Roku now and MAYBE worry about a fancier TV in the future.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
SenorPeaches
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

#Jonathan, appreciate your feedback, thank you

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.