Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alby99

Parental controls don't work

Jump to solution

I have tried everything I can think of to get parental controls to work but it doesn't. The menu seems easy enough to navigate but movies with PG14, R ratings that I'm trying to block continue to be accessible to anyone - no PIN required to view them. The channel that I'm mainly concerned with is the Roku channel and maybe that's the issue. I don't even see an option to remove the Roku channel. Any suggestions?

My next move is going to be dumping it if I can't control it.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Parental controls don't work

Jump to solution

Hi @Alby99,

Thank you for your first post here in the Roku Community!

We understand you are concerned about the parental controls since it was not working. We're happy to assist you further. The Roku Channel parental controls is a PIN-based playback control that applies only when you are streaming content on The Roku Channel in a signed-in state. When this feature is enabled, your PIN must be entered when someone tries watching content with certain ratings on The Roku Channel. What content can be played without a PIN depends on which of the four rating levels you select when configuring your PIN preferences, as described in the table below.

• Note:
    • Movies and TV shows restricted by your PIN preferences are not hidden or filtered when browsing or searching content on The Roku Channel, but your PIN must be entered before any such title can be played.
    • The Roku Channel parental controls apply only to video viewing within The Roku Channel and do not affect video playback elsewhere, including on other streaming channels. Creating a PIN does not prevent someone from exiting The Roku Channel and accessing content on another streaming channel.

In addition to restricting playback on The Roku Channel, your PIN preferences can be configured to require that your 4-digit code is entered any time a streaming channel is added or a request is made to sign up for a subscription billed to your Roku account.

You may also want to check out this support article here on how to block content using parental controls.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do to assist you.

Best regards,
John
John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Parental controls don't work

Jump to solution

Hi @Alby99,

Thank you for your first post here in the Roku Community!

We understand you are concerned about the parental controls since it was not working. We're happy to assist you further. The Roku Channel parental controls is a PIN-based playback control that applies only when you are streaming content on The Roku Channel in a signed-in state. When this feature is enabled, your PIN must be entered when someone tries watching content with certain ratings on The Roku Channel. What content can be played without a PIN depends on which of the four rating levels you select when configuring your PIN preferences, as described in the table below.

• Note:
    • Movies and TV shows restricted by your PIN preferences are not hidden or filtered when browsing or searching content on The Roku Channel, but your PIN must be entered before any such title can be played.
    • The Roku Channel parental controls apply only to video viewing within The Roku Channel and do not affect video playback elsewhere, including on other streaming channels. Creating a PIN does not prevent someone from exiting The Roku Channel and accessing content on another streaming channel.

In addition to restricting playback on The Roku Channel, your PIN preferences can be configured to require that your 4-digit code is entered any time a streaming channel is added or a request is made to sign up for a subscription billed to your Roku account.

You may also want to check out this support article here on how to block content using parental controls.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do to assist you.

Best regards,
John
John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kanbei85
Channel Surfer

Please fix the broken parental control system on Roku Live TV

Jump to solution

Roku Live TV: the parental control system simply does not work. Please notify your team that handles this! If I set it to "PG" setting, tons of children's Y programming gets blocked with a PIN also. This is terrible. Also, it looks like Strawberry Shortcake is back to being mislabled as TV-14 again. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.