Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Please advise: Viewing Roku on an iPad

Jump to solution

I have a 12 year old Vizio TV and a new ultra Roku and a new iPad all on the same Wi-Fi. I have set up airplay.

Is it possible to view Roku TV on my iPad [when I am in another room] and in what circumstances?

Am I able to watch all Roku channels on my iPad? Am I restricted to only the one channel that is currently on the TV? I have saved "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story" on my iPad. Can I watch that on my iPad independently of the TV?

If the answer is "no" I would be grateful if you would let me know.

If the answer is "yes" please advise how I can do any of this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Re: Please advise: Viewing Roku on an iPad

Jump to solution

Thanks all for your assistance. I think I get it now. You cannot use the channel guide to mirror streaming shows on your TV directly to your iPad, but there is a limited amount of Roku content that is available on your iPad using the app. 

The key is finding on your iPad what  is viewable and what is viewable for free on that device. Sometimes I can view shows on my iPad that are currently streaming, but I cannot access them if I search that particular title in the app. I don't see why that is.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@drd90274

No.

Roku devices connect via HDMI. iPads are not generally designed to be monitors. You can mirror your iPad to your TV, but not the other way around.

You can watch Roku Channel content on your iPad via the Roku app, but no other Roku device is involved. That is, your Ultra would not be a part of that mix. You can use the Roku app on your iPad regardless of whether or not there are any other Roku devices. But the viewing would be limited to Roku Channel content, which is not the entire Roku app library.

Many apps and services do make apps for both Roku and iPad. Netflix, for example, has a Roku app and an iPad app. If you subscribe to Netflix directly, you could use the credentials to watch on either device. But again, the devices are not connected in any way, wired or wireless.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

test

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I like the use of the word "no", but I would like a little clarification. When you say "You can watch Roku Channel content on your iPad via the Roku app", are you saying only that the channel guide is viewable but not the shows themselves? Are any Roku shows viewable on the iPad? If the answer is "no" the issue is settled and I am done.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@drd90274 

Yes, you can watch Roku Channel content on any device that supports Roku Channel, whether a Roku device, a Fire TV device, an iPad, or anything else.

If you want to watch content from your Roku device to an iPad, then no.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

"Yes, you can watch Roku Channel content on any device that supports Roku Channel, whether a Roku device, a Fire TV device, an iPad, or anything else."

So what do I need to do to watch Roku Channel content on my iPad?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

HI @drd90274,

Thanks for your inquiry. 

To watch Roku Channel content on your iPad, you can download and install the Roku mobile app from the App Store. Once you have downloaded the app, you can sign in with your Roku account and browse the Roku Channel content available. 

Watch hundreds of hit movies, TV shows, and more when you are on the go, directly from The Roku Channel tab. You can also use the app as a remote control for your Roku device and access other features such as voice search and private listening.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to install the Roku mobile app

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@drd90274 wrote:

So what do I need to do to watch Roku Channel content on my iPad?

Download the app from the Apple App Store. It's just an app.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks all for your assistance. I think I get it now. You cannot use the channel guide to mirror streaming shows on your TV directly to your iPad, but there is a limited amount of Roku content that is available on your iPad using the app. 

The key is finding on your iPad what  is viewable and what is viewable for free on that device. Sometimes I can view shows on my iPad that are currently streaming, but I cannot access them if I search that particular title in the app. I don't see why that is.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@drd90274 wrote:

... The key is finding on your iPad what  is viewable and what is viewable for free on that device. Sometimes I can view shows on my iPad that are currently streaming, but I cannot access them if I search that particular title in the app. I don't see why that is.

If it's something you're watching within Roku Channel, it should be the same content available on each platform (Roku or iPad). If you watch it on your Roku, but not within Roku Channel, then it may or may not be available. That's up to the developer.

If there is something you watch within Roku Channel on your Roku, and it's not on your iPad, give specifics and perhaps we can figure it out.

DBDukes

0 Kudos