Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kristiv
Reel Rookie

Overheating streaming stick

My streaming stick gets very hot. It always has. Lately I'm getting messages while I'm watching a program telling me that it has overheated. I have unplugged the streaming stick for a couple of hours and then within 30 minutes of using it again I will get this message. So does this mean my streaming stick is no good anymore?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Overheating streaming stick

Hi! @Kristiv,

Thank you for the post.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on the screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information, visit our Support page here: 'What should I do if the red light is on or I see a "Your device is overheating" warning?'
If you have a Roku Streaming Stick that is overheating, I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that in our support article, 'How to Improve the Wi-Fi® or wireless Internet connection to your Roku® streaming device.'
Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer!

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kristiv
Reel Rookie

Yes. Obviously, I've already searched this issue on the community blog and have seen roku's canned response to the overheating issue 1,000 times .

If you read my message you will see that the way my device is overheating is hopefully not normal. I shouldn't have to turn my TV off every 30 minutes to cool it down. My device is placed far from the television so the HDMI extender that is eternally suggested will not work. It seems that Roku just wants me to buy a new device?

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for your response @Kristiv,

Can we have your device serial number which can all be found in Settings > System > About.

In addition, how are you powering your Roku device?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos