Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dot0
Binge Watcher

[OS 12.5] No sound in Express+ after latest firmware update

After the latest firmware update (12.5.0, build 4178-51), the sound is completely gone once the device gets to the main screen. There *is* sound with the startup logo and other devices connected to the TV, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware thing, but after the loading screen it cycles through the HDMI port and DVI port and loads the main screen in a fuzzy resolution, and there is no sound in any of the apps. Perhaps the latest update should have gone through more QA testing?

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
dot0
Binge Watcher

Re: No sound in Express+ after latest firmware update

OK, so after a little further investigation, it looks like the HDMI connection between my streaming stick and the TV is being treated like a DVI connection After the Roku loading screen, the TV cycles through HDMI1, HDMI2 (where it used to stay), and then a purple band flashes and it says 'DVI 1920 x 1080' (probably why the display gets fuzzy). This is a TCL 48FS4610, which is old I guess, but it was working fine right up until Roku pushed this last update.

dot0
Binge Watcher

After further troubleshooting, I have found that I can get my Roku Express+ streaming stick to work if I leave it unplugged while both the TV and the streaming stick power on, and then plug it in (wait like a full minute after you turn on the TV and the little LED on the Roku turns on). I am only guessing, but maybe the Roku is checking for HDMI before the TV makes it available, and then falls back into a DVI mode?

NOTE: I only discovered this after testing with an older Roku stick I had laying around the house. It was several versions back from the firmware released today, but the audio and graphisc were fine until I updated to the most recent firmware updates. This leads me to believe that there's a bug in the recent firmware version.

JoeBobbie

I have the same problem on the same TCL model 48FS4610 TV after Roku updated to software version 12.5.0, build 4178-91.  I moved the updated Roku Premiere+ to a different TV and it worked fine.  I connected the Roku Premiere+ from the other TV to my TCL and it worked normally.  But now Roku wants to update that device, too.  I am sure updating to latest software will create the same problem for my TCL model 48FS4610 TV.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dot0 @JoeBobbie,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue. Have you tried restarting your Roku device to see if it helps? We recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating from Settings > System > Power > System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Please keep us posted on how it goes, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mikasman
Reel Rookie

Man, you're a lifesaver.  Could not for the life of me figure out how to stop the Roku from switching over to DVI, and waiting a minute to plug in the HDMI cable did the trick.  Roku needs to patch this ASAP!

Pennyworth
Reel Rookie

I'm in the same boat.  Last night the sound stopped working, on all channels.  Tv sound is still fine though.  I've unplugged and replugged, power cycled, changed the digital output to stereo, and even put an entirely different Roku on the TV.  Nothing.  But when the Roku is powering up I get the bouncy sounds as Roku bounces.  What's happening

0 Kudos
dot0
Binge Watcher

@Pennyworth, Like I said, the only way I got it to work was to keep the HDMI cable unplugged until the Roku is fully powered on. Basically, the little LED on the front will stay solid on power on, then it will flash while it is starting up, then it goes solid again. I was able to get good sound and video only after plugging in the HDMI after that process.

dot0
Binge Watcher

@RokuJechealR, Trust me, if this was as simple as "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" I would not be posting here, and I even posted the workaround that I have now used repeatedly to get it working. This is a bug with Roku's firmware. Maybe it's a race condition with testing the connection type?

Pennyworth
Reel Rookie

Your solution works, but they've definitely got to fix the firmware!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.