Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goofus
Streaming Star

OS 11 ISSUES - 720p, Bluetooth sync, and more!

Jump to solution

Hot on the heels of the 10.5 problems that still keep creeping up, here we go again.  I have a Roku Express 4K+ (3941-RW), and just received yesterday the 11 update (build 4168).  I knew it had happened silently when I suddenly got 32 channel updates at the same time.  Never a good sign.  The first issue is I can no longer set the box at 720p without the picture jumping every two or three frames.  Instead, even though my Philips TV is 720p, I have to now force the Roku into 1080p to stop the picture issues.  Second, when switching apps, the "go now/stop/cancel" dialog box is once again defaulting to "stop", which I thought was fixed once and for all with the last update.  So now I have to once again select "go now" manually, which is just an asinine unnecessary step.  I selected the app I want to go to, and I know what I'm doing.  Yes I'm sure.  Yes I'm really sure.  Yes I want to "go now".  Geeze.  The Roku app is once again slipping out of sync with the audio when using Bluetooth.  That was actually fixed in 10.5, but now it's back.  Plus, when I disconnect the Bluetooth from the app and return to TV audio, I have to restart the TV to get any audio back.  That's a nice touch, and I appreciate the extra step and wasted time.  And lastly (probably because the box now has to be set to 1080p), about two out of three times I leave the Roku input and return to regular TV, the TV automatically restarts.  Again, nice touch, and thank you.  I know that's more of a TV issue than a Roku one, but it's being caused by a 1080p Roku device confusing my tech when it tries to revert back to its native 720p.

So, while this OS 11 update doesn't seem to be as nightmare-ridden as 10.5, it still manages to follow the tried and true Roku pattern of breaking things that were working before.  I don't understand why you keep doing this, other than letting your tech guys run wild and create their own job security.  There's no logical reason that you'd keep letting these things happen.  So... having said all that... I made a long overdue decision today and went and got an AndroidTV box from Walmart (on sale for $19.98).  LOVE IT.  Twice as many apps, fully customizable, native sideloading, and I can use my Bluetooth keyboard and earbuds with it without having to have my cell phone or tablet jammed up my ______.  This is the beginning of the end of my relationship with Roku; and while I'm disappointed at having to make this switch, I should have done it a year ago.  There's a reason TCL dropped Roku and switched to Android/Google for its TVs, and that reason is very clear to me now.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: OS 11 ISSUES - 720p, Bluetooth sync, and more!

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As stated previously in this thread, please be aware that some of the new features that are being introduced with the newest OS 11.0 may not be readily available as some users have not received the latest OS update.

For more information about Roku OS 11.0, visit our blog post.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Goofus

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to investigate this issue for you.

can you please provide us the following information for each of the issues you are seeing:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-screenshots of the issue you are experiencing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BollWeevil
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I upgraded to os11 the other day. Not seeing the "What to Watch" option on the home screen that was mentioned in the release notes. Also not seeing the new Photo Streams option. What is that located?

Goofus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I literally posted every bit of information about the problems with OS 11 except for what I had for breakfast on the day I received the update.  And after ANOTHER update (to 4173-CR) yesterday, nothing is fixed.  The main thing is setting the box on 720p does not display correctly on my 720p TV anymore, frame-skipping on every channel, every stream, every app.  Switched inputs, cleared cache, switched HDMI cables.  Nothing.  I don't like having to jam a 1080p display onto my 720p television, never had to do that before, or with any other device.  The serial number is X01600JJ7U5H, every other piece of info you asked for is in my original, very clearly written, post.

0 Kudos
Goofus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I can't find the photo stream option either.  I'm guessing that's in the updated Roku app, which hasn't posted yet.  The "what to watch" feature silently showed up a few weeks ago in OS 10.5, but you have to go to SETTINGS>>> HOME SCREEN to turn it on manually.

0 Kudos
BollWeevil
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I tried to turn on "What to Watch" from the home screen option. There is not an for that on my TV with 10.5 or OS11. Also not on my Roku Ultra with 10.5. Oh well. I guess I will just keep waiting.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that some of the new features that are being introduced with the newest OS 11.0 may not be readily available.

For more information about Roku OS 11.0, visit our blog post.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Goofus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This actually just made me randomly laugh out loud.  My roommates think I've gone bonkers.  Paraphrased, this says "the new features in OS 11 aren't actually in OS 11".  Do you see why I'm migrating over to Android/GoogleTV?  Everything Roku does just makes everything worse.  If the OS 11 features weren't ready, the OS 11 update shouldn't have been pushed onto our devices.  So far, the only "feature" I see in OS 11 is that I can't set the box to 720p so that it displays correctly on my 720p television.  Again, you broke something that was working previously.  If I could return the $250 or so of Roku tech I have and get my money back, I'd do it in half a heartbeat.

BollWeevil
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Updated my Roku TV today (3rd update to OS11) and still no "what to watch" or photo screen saver. Also updated my Roku Ultra today to OS11 - same story. What version of OS11 will include the new options?

Goofus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My guess is the new OS 11 features will be in OS 12.  I got my third update tonight as well, and still nothing is new or fixed, including the 720p display issue.  They're literally using our PAID-FOR devices to beta test their garbage, and it's really starting to p!ss me off.

0 Kudos