Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spauld

Photo Streaming; uploading pictures and LOTS of other issues

Jump to solution

After spending most of my day off messing with this ridiculous Roku Photo Streaming app, I'm starting to think I should just return my Roku device and go back to using the Amazon firestick!  I can't believe this simple app is so un-user friendly. 

First and foremost, there does not seem to be a way to easily allow access to my photo library (even Google photos).   I still have to hand-select each and every photo, even after going through massive security steps.  Secondly, the player randomly shows pictures, there does not seem to be a way to systematically go through a group of photos in order.  Then while in the slideshow, the screen goes black after about a dozen photos, and I need to monkey with the remote to get things to show up onscreen again.   Why is this such a hassle? 

I assumed since Amazon Prime shows up as an app to add to my Roku home screen, Amazon Photos would be available as well.  It would make things just so much easier.  But no, we're forced to use this horrible Roku Photo Streaming app?  Am I missing something here?  Does anyone have a simple answer to this madness or is this just a rabbit hole issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Photo Streaming; uploading pictures and LOTS of other issues

Jump to solution

Hi, @spauld.

Welcome aboard to the Roku Community!

We see you're having trouble using the Photostreams feature on your Roku. Don't worry, we got you.

When using Photostreams, you can either upload photos directly from the device or link photos and albums from Google.

When uploading an entire album from Google, ensure that the album has already been created in Google Photos. This way, it will be automatically linked to photostreams, and selecting will be easier. For more detailed information about Photostreams, visit this support FAQ on How to use Photo Streams on your Roku® streaming device.

In addition, if you're using a Roku TV when viewing photostreams and the screen occasionally goes black after a few photos are shown, try checking if the Sleep timer was enabled. Check it by navigating to Settings > System > Time > Sleep Timer > Off. However, if you're using a Roku device since it doesn't have a Sleep timer feature, try checking the TV's settings to see if a sleep timer is enabled. You may contact the TV manufacturer for additional assistance.

We hope all this information helps. Let us know if there's anything else we can do.

All the best,
Emman 

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Photo Streaming; uploading pictures and LOTS of other issues

Jump to solution

Hi, @spauld.

Welcome aboard to the Roku Community!

We see you're having trouble using the Photostreams feature on your Roku. Don't worry, we got you.

When using Photostreams, you can either upload photos directly from the device or link photos and albums from Google.

When uploading an entire album from Google, ensure that the album has already been created in Google Photos. This way, it will be automatically linked to photostreams, and selecting will be easier. For more detailed information about Photostreams, visit this support FAQ on How to use Photo Streams on your Roku® streaming device.

In addition, if you're using a Roku TV when viewing photostreams and the screen occasionally goes black after a few photos are shown, try checking if the Sleep timer was enabled. Check it by navigating to Settings > System > Time > Sleep Timer > Off. However, if you're using a Roku device since it doesn't have a Sleep timer feature, try checking the TV's settings to see if a sleep timer is enabled. You may contact the TV manufacturer for additional assistance.

We hope all this information helps. Let us know if there's anything else we can do.

All the best,
Emman 

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos