Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmotz

Nothing on the screen after recent update

Jump to solution

My wife said the device was working and then sometimes not (black screen) over the last few days.I checked it and saw that it was updated recently ( 8/5/24 ). Decided to restart it for good measure. Did and then I just got the black screen too. The device is on (light on device is on) connections are all tight. However, I get nothing on the screen. What can I do now?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Nothing on the screen after recent update

Jump to solution

Hey there, @schmotz 

Just a quick update for you:

You can't turn off a Roku Express 4K completely without removing the power. If it's not responding, try pressing any button on your Roku remote to wake it up and get it back to its normal operation.

To help avoid this issue in the future, you can turn off the Power Saving Mode on your Roku device. Here's how:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select System.
  3. Go to Power.
  4. Choose Power Saving Mode and set it to Off.

We hope this helps with the issue you're experiencing. If you continue to have problems, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @schmotz.

Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to post here in the Roku Community!

We understand that a recent update caused your Roku to cease to work. We'd like to know more about the issue you're currently running into.

Could you tell us more about...

• What Roku device/TV is affected by this problem?
  • Since this happens after the recent update, will you please provide the latest version of your Roku device?
  • Can you please specify what troubleshooting steps you have tried aside from restarting?
  • A photo of the issue will help us provide more insight into your concern.

With more information, we will be able to provide an accurate resolution and get you back on streaming.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

Regards,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
schmotz

Jump to solution
We are running a:
Roku Express 4K+
Software is 13.1.4
Build 1512.
Last updated 8/2/24.

It is connected to a Sony XR65x90CK  TV. We don't use the smart TV capabilities, we use our Roku device.

Steps tried
Restarted
All connections (HDMI) checked 
Power confirmed

I learned from my wife that the issue is intermittent. After she told me about the issue I checked it. It seemed to be working normally. I restarted it for "good measure" and checked all the above. It never came back on. Saw the Roku letter cross the screen quickly then they were gone, screen blank. Later after pursuing the issue here I looked at it again and it was  back to "normal". I restarted it because you asked for a picture. It did it again as I suspected it would. Attached is the current picture.

IMG_20240805_130107314.jpg
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @schmotz.

We appreciate you providing us with more details about your concern. This will help us isolate the issue you're currently facing. 

We'll forward this to the appropriate Roku team for thorough review and investigation. In order for us to accomplish that, kindly provide the additional details below: 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID(these can all be found in Settings>System>About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)

In the meantime, try plugging the Roku into a different TV to see if it makes any difference. 

Please keep us posted for more updates.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey there, @schmotz 

Just a quick update for you:

You can't turn off a Roku Express 4K completely without removing the power. If it's not responding, try pressing any button on your Roku remote to wake it up and get it back to its normal operation.

To help avoid this issue in the future, you can turn off the Power Saving Mode on your Roku device. Here's how:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select System.
  3. Go to Power.
  4. Choose Power Saving Mode and set it to Off.

We hope this helps with the issue you're experiencing. If you continue to have problems, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.