Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nguyentuongvinh
Reel Rookie

Need Help with Displaying Vietnamese Subtitles on Roku TV

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with a problem I am having with my Roku TV. I am trying to watch a movie with Vietnamese subtitles, but the subtitles are not displaying correctly on my Roku TV. Some characters are missing or are displayed as squares, and I think this may be related to a font issue.

I have tried checking the encoding of the subtitle file and making sure that it is in UTF-8 format, but the problem persists. I have also tried different streaming services and apps (Plex/Emby Server), but the issue still occurs.

I would really appreciate any help or advice on how to resolve this issue. If anyone has experienced similar problems or has any suggestions, I would be grateful for your response.

Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards, Vinh

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Need Help with Displaying Vietnamese Subtitles on Roku TV

Hi @nguyentuongvinh

Welcome to Roku Community.

We understand how important it is to have accurate and clear subtitles while watching movies, and we would like to help in any way possible. If you could provide us with some additional details such as if the issue occurs on a specific movie/tv show, what channel are you using to stream the movie/tv show, and any error messages or codes you may have received, having more information helps us identify the issue. 

To help you further troubleshoot, you may refer to this link: How to enable closed captioning

Keep us posted with the details. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
nguyentuongvinh
Reel Rookie

Hi Nimfa,

Thank you for reaching out and offering your help. I appreciate it.

The issue I am having is with Vietnamese subtitles on my Roku TV. Some characters are missing or displayed as squares, and I think this might be related to a font issue. I tried using Plex and Emby to stream my movies on my NAS. Using Plex and Emby on the PC can display the soft subs well, but Plex and Emby on my Roku TV are not, so I assume the problem is the font on the TV itself. 

For Example, instead of this:

Tất cả sản phẩm phục vụ cộng đồng của WTRANZ

The TV display:

Tpt cp spn phpm phpc vp cpng đpng cpa WTRANZ 

I would be happy to provide any additional information that you need. Let me know what else you would like to know.

Thank you again for your help.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @nguyentuongvinh,

Thanks for following up.

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help. Just to verify, have you tried any other movies or content with subtitles if you see the same issue? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

Please keep us posted with additional details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nguyentuongvinh
Reel Rookie

Hi, Yes, I tried many movies. I also tried separate subfiles and soft subfiles. Both have the same issue. I can send you a srt file for you to test on your device. Use it on any movie you have. Can I have your email, or somewhere that I can send a file. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@nguyentuongvinh 

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

In the meantime, can you please provide us with an example or title that you are experiencing this issue so we can better understand the issue you are experiencing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos