Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zorro1953
Streaming Star

NEW HOME SCREEN - "ON NOW"

Please allow the owner of the STB to turn off the new row titled "On Now".  In fact, if Settings/Home Screen/Live TV is set to hide, this new "On Now" feature should be disabled. 

There are a couple reasons off the top of my head that I don't like this new feature. First, it is above the channels that I have added, so when pressing the home button, it doesn't go to the first channel icon in my list. Second, I frequently use my Roku when traveling out of the U.S. So far, none of the channels in the "On Now" row will even stream when not in the U.S. I'm sure this is due to geo restrictions to these channels, which is understandable, but in that case, there should be logic in the firmware to not display them.

I know as a company you have tremendous pressure to encourage users to stream content from the Roku Channel, but please don't turn the outstanding Roku streaming device into a single-minded mess like Amazon has done to their Fire TV devices.

Labels (1)
41 REPLIES 41
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: NEW HOME SCREEN - "ON NOW"

Hi @Zorro1953,

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Would you mind specifying the following:

• Roku device model
  • Current OS version

Also, may we know when you started seeing these changes?

With more details, we'll be able to understand this better and provide an accurate resolution.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
falkor88

I hate this new feature. It bothers me every days since it started to show up. I have factory reset multiple times to try and get rid of it and it keeps coming back. Let me decide what I want at the top. At least move it to the bottom. 

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@falkor88,

I have passed along this to the appropriate Roku team for further review. Again, thanks for flagging us, and we appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
Prof_hoo
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue. There must be some way to remove this. 

markrtr
Reel Rookie

This is annoying me too! Please let me remove it.

polksalad

I will echo the comments of others on this new On Now feature.  We need the ability to hide it or move it to the bottom.  When I press Home I want my Apps to be the first thing I see without having to scroll.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree. What is at the top should be MY DECISION, not ROKU's. Either give us the option to REMOVE it, or MOVE it.

Westtx430

This feature is a terrible add. I use the Control4 Roku remote interface which is an iPhone app and when I turn on my system I like being able to hit select which goes to the app I have as the first app in my Roku lineup and hit select again to activate it. I like to do this without looking up at the tv since it’s an iPhone app I’m looking down at the iPhone. This new “On Now” banner makes this previously seamless process cumbersome bc I now have to look at the tv to make sure I’m on the right Roku app. Roku please let us disable the On Now banner. 

dannyomo
Reel Rookie

My kids should not be given unfettered access to stream news channels (especially now!) or whatever it is you're "featuring". It's bad enough that you show non-kid-friendly ads on the home screen, now you're shuffling them into unapproved content as well. I'm switching to my Google Chromecast (or maybe buying an Apple TV) unless you can give me an option to remove this whole section.