Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saipan59
Reel Rookie

Japanese subtitles suddenly missing on both Netflix and Disney+

Jump to solution

We often watch shows with Japanese subtitles. A few days ago, Japanese subtitles disappeared from the list of choices. I still see (typically) a dozen or so other choices, often including Asian languages such as Korean and Chinese - but no Japanese any more. One specific example: The "Wednesday" series on Netflix - previously watched the entire series with English audio and Japanese subtitles, but today Japanese is simply not in the list of languages choices. I see the same thing on Disney+ with the "Mandalorian" series. How is that possible??? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Japanese subtitles suddenly missing on both Netflix and Disney+

Jump to solution

Hi @Thenovemberist3,

Welcome to Roku Community and thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality including subtitles, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

You can reach their Disney plus Support team here.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @saipan59

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Please try these steps to adjust your subtitle settings first:

1. Check that the 'CC' icon on the bottom left of the video screen is togged on in blue
  2. Select any video to play
  3. Pause the video 
  4. Look for the 'CC' icon on the bottom left of the screen

The 'Language' settings page on your Roku device settings:

1. Visit the Main Menu of your Roku device's homepage
  2. Select Settings and look for System then Language
  3. Select 'Japanese' or the desired language for your system
  4. Once you're done, return to the Viki Channel and check that the 'CC' icon on the bottom left of the video screen is togged on in blue
  5. Press * on your remote and select <On> under the captions options.

We hope it helps! Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
saipan59
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I tried those things, but no change. NOTE that captions are *working*, the problem is that Japanese is no longer in the list. There are at least a dozen other choices, including English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, etc. -- but no Japanese.

What else can I try??

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Japanese subtitles suddenly missing on both Netflix and Disney plus

Jump to solution

Hi @saipan59

Thanks for the post.

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to Disney and Netflix support teams to see if they have any additional settings or options within their device that may allow the functionality you are looking for.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos

Re: Japanese subtitles suddenly missing on both Netflix and Disney plus

Jump to solution

I too watch shows with Japanese subtitles and I find it odd that I can't find the option for Japanese subtitles when I use Disney plus on Roku, especially considering when I was using the Disney plus app on other platforms where Japanese subtitles was an option and I put the subtitles in that language. I'm using Disney plus on Roku and for some reason there's all these other languages available and somehow Japanese isn't listed?

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Thenovemberist3,

Welcome to Roku Community and thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality including subtitles, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

You can reach their Disney plus Support team here.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
saipan59
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

FYI, I just did a "live chat" with Disney+. As expected, the Support person really has no idea.

Here is the conversation:

Disney+: Upon checking here on my resources, it seems like our subtitles do rely on our viewers location and the availability, I do have a suggestion if you would prefer using the Japanese language you can try to edit your profile and change your preferred language to Japanese.

Me: So, you don't know WHY Japanese is not available on Roku?

Disney+: Oh is the Japanese subtitles option not available only on your Roku device, Peter?

Me: On Roku, Japanese subtitles work on Netflix, but NOT on Disney+. THAT is the problem. So WHY does Disney+ not allow Japanese on Roku?

Disney+: Oh I see! Thank you for clarifying that out for me, regarding on the Roku device, we don't really know as to why the Japanese subtitles are not compatible with Disney+, it may be also possible that it's because Disney+ only offers limited subtitle option for US.

uscburrito
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
I had pretty much that exact same conversation with Disney+ support recently. Incredibly irritating waste of time🤦🏾‍♂️