Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolph
Channel Surfer

Is it worth upgrading from Roku 3 to Roku Express?

Jump to solution

For those who used Roku 3 and Roku Express, is it worth upgrading from Roku 3 to Roku Express (3960R)? I currently have Roku 3 (‎4200R, 2014 model) and am looking for a faster loading speed and stability. I added a micro SD card to Roku 3, but the speed didn't increase at all, and Roku sometimes reboots itself while using Amazon Music.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is it worth upgrading from Roku 3 to Roku Express?

Jump to solution

Your Roku 3 is quite old. The SD card will do nothing to make it speedier, as it's sole use is for channel storage. It's not used for operational memory. 

However, I would not recommend the basic Express model. It's single band WiFi, and is just a basic player. Your Roku 3 is just as powerful as the Express, and you have an Ethernet jack as well. But because of the age of your Roku 3, it's completely possible that it's going to lose support within a year or so.

I would recommend at a minimum upgrading to the Express 4K+. It's not that much more money, but it's far more capable than the basic Express. Dual band WiFi, much, much faster processor, much more memory, and so on. It also supports using a 3rd party mini-USB Ethernet connection. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
atc98092

Jump to solution

Your Roku 3 is quite old. The SD card will do nothing to make it speedier, as it's sole use is for channel storage. It's not used for operational memory. 

However, I would not recommend the basic Express model. It's single band WiFi, and is just a basic player. Your Roku 3 is just as powerful as the Express, and you have an Ethernet jack as well. But because of the age of your Roku 3, it's completely possible that it's going to lose support within a year or so.

I would recommend at a minimum upgrading to the Express 4K+. It's not that much more money, but it's far more capable than the basic Express. Dual band WiFi, much, much faster processor, much more memory, and so on. It also supports using a 3rd party mini-USB Ethernet connection. 

Dan

dolph
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's a great advice. Thank you so much! I'll certainly consider that.

Will the current Roku 3 remote work with Roku Express 4K+ as a second remote?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@dolph wrote:

Will the current Roku 3 remote work with Roku Express 4K+ as a second remote?

It's possible, but I can't say for certain if a remote that old will work with a new model. The Express 4K+ comes with the Voice Remote, so it's much more capable than the remote your 3 has. 

Dan

dolph
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

My Roku 3 has long been replaced by newer Rokus, but I gave it to a friend in another state and it is still going strong.  It was an excellent state of the art unit in its day, but has been surpassed by later units, as indicated by @atc98092 .  When I visit my friend it makes me appreciate how much faster and responsive my current Rokus are.

As for the Roku 3 remote:  Since today's Voice Remotes will work with it, I suspect its remote will work with today's Rokus. 

If I recall correctly, this remote has an earphone jack for private listening, and two buttons labeled A and B for use in game play.  I suspect the private listening would work with a later Roku, not so sure about the game buttons, though. 

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
dolph
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your input. That encourages me to upgrade. What Roku devices are you using after giving away your Roku 3?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@dolph wrote:

Thank you for your input. That encourages me to upgrade. What Roku devices are you using after giving away your Roku 3?

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X, as I list in my forum signature. I find the Streaming Stick format very convenient for wall mounted flat panel TVs.

In addition, I still have a Streaming Stick 3600 that I take with me when traveling, and sometimes hook up to my computer monitor when answering questions here for a quick check of Roku menu paths, etc.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
atc98092

Jump to solution

@dolph wrote:

What Roku devices are you using after giving away your Roku 3?

Remember that if you're going to dispose of your 3 in any manner other than completely destroying it (which isn't the environmentally friendly way to do it) you need to first delete it from your user account on your account web page, and then do a factory reset on the Roku 3 itself. You'll find a setting in the System menu to do that. You want to ensure all your personal information is removed from the Roku and that it can't be used again on your account without being linked back up. If you just want to use it on another TV, you don't need to do anything, just connect it to the new set and everything will work as it does now. 

Dan

dolph
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you @makaiguy for your reply and additional information--that's interesting. Sorry, I wasn't aware of the devised listed at the bottom (now I know).

0 Kudos