Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian771
Channel Surfer

How to turn off HDR on Roku Smart TV?

Philips 50" Roku smart TV model 50PUL6533/F7.

As Charles and the other customers here have stated there are no options for turning off the HDR picture on the secret menu (home 5xs, etc.) or in the TVs system settings. It's just not available. Also, as someone else mentioned, the 4K & regular HD picture settings are more than fine. There needs to be a fix here. If Roku was able to remove this feature from the secret menu then you should be able to put it back. The HDR feature kills the picture making it dark and dull especially when compared to the reg HD picture settings when not in HDR mode. Also there's no way to adjust/override this manually using the advanced picture settings. I've spent more time than I know trying.

I've been a loyal Roku customer going back to the Roku 1 box that connected via rca cables, as most TVs didn't have HDMI at that time. The product and customer service has always been good if not great. Obviously this seems to no longer be the case. All we are asking for is the option of shutting off the HDR. If it was removed in an update then it should be able to be uploaded in another update. What's the point of owning a Roku TV if you can't see the picture? Especially as more series, movies etc are in 4K. I've included pics of both menus so you can see our lack of options for HDR settings. 

Roku customer.

Brian 

TV Secret menu. No HDR options.

20240617_162558.jpg

Regular TV menu. No HDR options.

20240617_162717.jpg

I hope these pictures will help you to see what others have been trying to explain. 

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Dutton74

Re: How to turn off HDR on Roku Smart TV?

Did you ever figure out how to turn off HDR?  I have the same TV and it is so dark

0 Kudos
CPB52
Reel Rookie

Nope. ROKU silent on the matter.

0 Kudos
druid13
Channel Surfer

That does not solve the issue and is a poor solution. HDR looks like **bleep** and no amount of fiddling with picture settings will make it look good. The bottom line is, we should be able to turn it off. Please someone at Roku throw us a bone here. This is terrible! Roku puts that it has HDR features to sell more TV's but in the end it's us the customers who suffer.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

We understand and share your sentiments.

May we know the following information:

1. Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. When did you start having this issue?
  3. What troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

With more details, we'll be able to provide you with an accurate resolution. Kindly keep us updated.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thechowhouse87
Channel Surfer

In previous software versions, HDR could be turned off which is especially necessary for lower model TVs without the proper display capabilities that HDR requires. 

Please update the roku tv software to once again allow for this and notify us when a proper update is made available.

This should be a regular feature option in the TV settings similar to how it is on a roku steaming device. It should not be buried in a secret menu.

Please pass this message onto your software developers. 

0 Kudos
CPB52
Reel Rookie

ROKU tv model 65r6a5r

Hardware: G852X

SONY7388H5E7

Serial: X01300P8H5E7

Software: 13.0.0 build 24062-ET

0 Kudos
Sq78

I know this isn’t the best option but I was watching a movie in Fandango (formerly VUDU) and changed it from UHD to HDX and it took it out of HDR, sooo… Not a perfect solution but it serves my purposes to avoid headaches/migraines from either straining to see what’s going on or having my retinas blown out. #tclroku

0 Kudos

Has anyone resolved this? I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.