Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimsz
Streaming Star

Re: How to change Roku home screen app display from 4 columns back to 3

People need to accept that Roku doesn't care what we think. They are doing all these changes in order to squeeze money out of the various streaming companies to push users to specific apps/streamers. Right now it doesn't make sense but what else will they force out in the next 6 months.

Will we see apps forced onto our screen that roku is paid to put there? will only certain apps be allowed in the top rows (of course they will be pay to be there)

These changes from Roku are part of a shift in business focus. The users were the focus and we are not any longer.

0 Kudos
Nosoynadie
Binge Watcher

There needs to be options on how many icons across each user wants. Some will want 3, others 4,5, or 6. But give us the option. Thank you. 

It changed from four across to three across on my Roku devices of different generations this morning.

THANK YOU, ROKU!

"Continue Watching" is also gone on the devices.

THANK YOU, ROKU!

Dear Roku Design/UX Team: Since it seems relatively straightforward to enable it or disable it, how about adding in the options for those who DO want "Continue Watching" or four across? It's clear there are people who really love these features and also really dislike them as well.

It's actually several problems:

1. 4 across instead of three, so the tiles are smaller and harder to read

2. Font used for the Time in the upper right is much smaller now, harder to read

3. I absolutely don't want to see the continue watching on the home screen

4. The TV Inputs thing, though this doesn't explicitly impact me

Brair
Reel Rookie

This is a horrible change. You literally changed things to make it more difficult to find things. Many seniors use roku TVs and you make it so they have to drill down to find the correct input vs push a button and there they are. Not everyone has a 70+ inch screen so four across makes it more difficult to see exactly what you are selecting.  The biggest problem is you made a change to a non subscription service on privately owned devices without permission or even apparently options to revert it back. If people got upset at theme packs being shoved down how do you think those same people are going to react to this?  If you want to add new features go for it. But to force them is very abusive. Are you willing to replace the TVs of people who hate this unrequested change?  

MikieAC
Channel Surfer

So, for me, it appears that the 4-tile "experiment" is over and all of my Roku devices have reverted back to 3-tiles! Now, maybe Roku has learned a lesson about screwing around with the accessibility of devices that people have purchased? Yes? And for those of you who still have 4-tile, try rebooting your device.

GoldenTrio
Channel Surfer

I agree with you completely. 

Shame on ROKU!

notro

Glad to hear that some users app grids are reverting to 3 column. The 4 column showed up on mine in the last week and I thought at first some secret setting got activated by sitting on the remote or something, lol. The 4 column looked terrible and I have not gotten used to it. 

Im all for customization/accessibility options, but this was a terrible UI change. Hoping mine reverts soon!

shinomen

I like the 4 column personally.  However, I don't think it should be a default.  Roku should offer an option to do the 4 column layout.  I also liked how the inputs were moved to a group instead of all being displayed on the home screen.  Additionally I thought it was pretty cool to have the "continue watching" section where it would show the last show on Max or Netflix that I was watching so that I could quickly resume with less button clicks.

For my vote, I think there should be options for all these styles.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku has stated publicly that when the 4x4 screen is officially rolled out, there will be a user setting for 3x3 or 4x4. So personal preference will be maintained. They didn't do this test rollout very well, and hopefully they have learned from it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.