Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flskier

Closed captioning not working

I have a movie file that is MP4 on a USB Hard Drive.  When I play the file on my macbook with Quicktime I can turn Subtitles on and off and see them.

When I play the same file on a Roku Ultra (usb hard drive) using Roku Media Player the movie plays fine but the captions will not display on the screen.  Have everything set to English and CC is set to Always On.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Closed captioning not working

Do you have a separate file for the subtitles?  What format are they in?

"Roku Media Player supports embedded subtitles in .mkv files. To choose a subtitle track use Star while the video is playing. If you have a Roku TV system, you also need to select Accessibility. Roku Media Player will automatically include subtitle tracks found in .SRT and .VTT files. The files must be saved in the same folder as the video. They must have the same name as the video and the .srt or .vtt extension. To include multiple files you must insert a language extension, for example movie.eng.srt or movie.ger.srt."

How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jmp1xxxx
Reel Rookie

Am aware of everything in renojim's solution. Have double checked everything twice. Captions will not display using .srt file. A few weeks ago they would. Something has changed. Captions is set to "On Always" but is not working for TV broadcast either. Perhaps the latest software update for my Hisense TV is the culprit.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@jmp1xxxx, have you gone through the "Captions style" settings under "Accessibility"?  Maybe something got messed up there and setting them to something other than "Default" will bring them back.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jmp1xxxx
Reel Rookie

My background is 35+ years writing programs for main frame computers, so I have seen it all when it comes to something suddenly not working. Like others who have this problem, the subtitles were working fine the last time I needed them. Let me warn you....the solution is not something you would expect.

I tested it on two movies. Both were >MP4 format. The movies are on a USB drive. The .srt files are saved in the same folder as the video, and have the same name as the video. And yes, I went to Settings > Accessibility > Captions mode on my Roku TV and verified that the "Captions mode" was set to "On always."

You can tell you have a problem by starting the movie, pressing the asterisk (*) button and selecting "Accessibility". Here you can verify that the "Captions mode" is set to "On always." However, if you look at "Captioning track" directly beneath it, it will show "not available." This indicates the .srt file is not being recognized.

Both movies were sequels. As a result, both names had the number "2" in the title. Someone before me (...only one person) suggested removing all numbers from the name. Stupid I know, but it worked. I tested two (...no pun intended) different ways.

For the first movie, I simply removed the number "2" from the movie and .srt names. For the other, I changed the number "2" to the word "Two". In each case the movies played with subtitles. To see what this changed, press the asterisk (*) button and select "Accessibility". Again you will see that "Captions mode" is still set to "On always." However, if you look at "Captioning track" directly beneath it, it will now show "Single track." This indicates the .srt file is recognized.

That's what worked for me. See if it applies in your case.

0 Kudos

I hope this is not the solution! I have hundreds of videos on our channel that have .srt captioning and ALL of the filenames are numbered. They ALL used to work but have stopped working some time in the past couple of months. 

0 Kudos