Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning stopped working on 3/14/2022

@carolinakstew

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What channel are you trying to watch closed captions on? Are you making sure that both the Roku device settings are enabled as well as within the channel?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
carolinakstew
Reel Rookie

Thanks for responding. 
It is not a channel, but an app. The CC stopped on YouTubeTV but only on Roku. When I watch it on smart TVs in my home, it is still there. It WAS on for this app for two years and just stopped in April. There isn’t a place in YouTubeTV for CC. It is turned on for Roku. It’s a mystery. 
Other apps on my Roku do have CC still. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@carolinakstew

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
carolinakstew
Reel Rookie

Yeah, if only it were that simple and true.

Like so many above have noted, all closed captioning stopped. On all my apps on Roku.  They all worked for two years and then suddenly stopped.  This has nothing to do with YouTubeTV or Prime or Netflix or any other app.  I have these apps on other TVs in my home without Roku and it works just fine.  It is Roku alone.  So, if someone figures this out, I sure would love to know the answer.  My 74 year old mother is super frustrated too to have lost the CC via her Roku at her home as well.  At the same time.  

Yes, I've done all the suggested things.  Resetting.  Unplugging.  All the things.  It's been gone for months now.  

0 Kudos
jagamez1

Danny R,

I used roku and conway as cable company provider and I found that CC stopped working in my roku devices. I am able to stream online and i got different box and it worked. My roku is running Roku Version: 11.0.0
Transcode version: 2.4.9813.6:DC40020 (Jun 19 2021 @ 13:21:23)

I tried different option but still non working.

Are you able to use debug roku box and figure it out?

Thanks

JG

0 Kudos

This issue occurs for Discovery Plus also. Captions are displayed for older shows but not newer ones on Roku TV. 

Again, captions are set to On Always, tried updating the software, reinstalling app and system restarting. Nothing works. The captions show everywhere else, so there must’ve been something done to a recent update on Roku. 

I’ve heard that captions are transcoded differently when it comes to Roku and other apps. If captions are not the same as the app, then they don’t display. Please fix this.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jagamez1 @captionsnotwork

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mp33607
Reel Rookie

Turned on my Roku TV this evening and not able to to see or turn on closed captions. Tried all the obvious steps to no avail. Unplugged TV waited 30 seconds plugged back in and captions were back on. Give it a try. Worked  for me.

0 Kudos