Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobshaks
Reel Rookie

Re: Auto-launch app?

There’s a way to auto launch apps if you use Alexa, I’m not sure of other smart Home devices. Doesn’t work for YouTubeTV unfortunately, but I’ve tested it with Hulu and Netflix. Basically, you program Alexa to launch Hulu or Netflix when you ask it to turn on Roku. I’m still looking for a solution for YouTubeTV but Alexa doesn’t support YouTubeTV on Roku unfortunately 

0 Kudos
TheLex
Channel Surfer

Re: Auto-launch app problems

I’ve managed to get autolaunch to start YouTube tv on start up, sort of.  I'm running a Roku express 4K+ with v 11.0.0. I configured autolaunch to launch YouTube tv and at first I thought everything worked fine when the system powered up. But I discovered that at some period of time after the system is powered down (determined by screensaver start time setting), the system restarts automatically. Not good for trying to sleep after tuning the bedroom tv off. 

any thoughts?

Thanks. Lex

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@TheLex I'm not certain how you're auto-starting a specific channel, but if you say you've done it, great.

As to Roku "powering down", you didn't specify what model Roku you have. Some of the latest models have a setting called Power Saver, which doesn't actually power the system off, but does put it into a deep sleep mode. If you're seeing a true system reboot, it sounds like it is losing it's power. How are you powering your Roku? If it's connected to a USB port on a TV, then the power is likely being shut off after some internal timer on the TV. If you plug your Roku directly into wall power that should stop happening.

There's also a setting under the Network menu labeled Bandwidth Saver. This is supposed to stop streaming if the remote isn't used within a four hour period. Since I never go that long without touching my remote, I don't know if it simply stops the stream or closes whatever channel is open. If the latter, that might be what's happening with yours. Try turning the saver function off to see if that resolves the issue.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
TheLex
Channel Surfer

Hey, Dan. Thanks for the response. As indicated, I’m using. (2) Roku express 4K+ with v 11.0.0.  Using the autolaunch app as default screensaver, I’ve been able to get each to launch YouTube tv upon hitting the power button on the remote (top center, button with red outline and vertical line). i have not e experienced a lag in app launch that others on this thread described.

I turn the unit and the display off with the same remote power button. When going thru turn off sequence, the display goes dark and the blue light on the Roku goes out. After the unit is in this "off" state for a time period equal to the selected screensaver start time, the unit and the display "come on" automatically. Not a good feature in the middle of the night  

Anyway, I’ve given up on the autolaunch app and instead am testing things with the screensaver function disabled. So far, upon turning the unit on, the last screen used is displayed. I’m uncertain whether this result is independent of the "off time."

Lex

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks Lex. First, the power button on the remote doesn't actually turn the Roku "off". It's just a deep sleep mode. It does turn your TV off, so again, if you're powering your Roku from a TV USB port, that might be part of your issue. I'm unfamiliar with any auto-laugh screensaver, but then it's not something I've ever looked for. But if it has some sort of internal timer to auto-start a channel, and that timer isn't configurable, it doesn't seem of much value to me. 😄

Dan

yaet27
Channel Surfer

Re: Auto-launch app? Kindly help us about it

I also would like that choice of autosteering an app - we've got an elderly mother that loves her Chinese stations and I've downloaded numerous apps for her to choose however she's beginning to be very challenged to see and pick out an app so I want to robotically default to 1 for her.

RiverSong715
Reel Rookie

Auto launch YouTube TV upon powering on TV

I would love this too. I use YouTube TV exclusively for my live TV and would like it to auto launch upon turning on the TV. If you could program it to one of the quick launch buttons that would solve the issue. But this company makes assumptions that everyone either had a Netflix or Hulu account so those 2 buttons are a waste for me

Tags (1)
atc98092

Re: Auto launch YouTube TV upon powering on TV

Netflix and Hulu pay for those buttons to be there. You’ll probably notice virtually every remote for any streaming device has a Netflix button. They pay a lot of money for that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: Auto launch YouTube TV upon powering on TV

@RiverSong715 

The Roku Voice Remote Pro ($30) has two programmable buttons. Some items come with that remote. If you have one of the higher end Roku devices, you may already have it. Look for buttons labeled "1" and "2" above the ad-buttons.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Gman_gm
Reel Rookie

@Bobshaks: If it worked for Hulu, etc and not YouTubeTV its probably because Alexa is Amazon and YouTubeTV is Google-  these guys dont care about 'us' and what we want, only their own eco system,  so perhaps try this w google nest and tell Amazon thats why you threw them out?

0 Kudos