Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anoying Audio that reads everything that is written on screen

Out of nowhere, when I turn Roku on, this annoying woman's voice start reading everything that is written on the screen. How do you get read of it.

I did mute it in SETTINGS but voice still persists.

Steve

Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Anoying Audio that reads everything that is written on screen

Hey @stevealexis

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried turning off the screen reader by pressing the Star * button on your remote four times?

For more information, you can refer to this link: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
harri
Binge Watcher

Yes KarizaD. I have the same problem since 01/06/2023. And 4x the * button only enables my voice commands, whereas I want to disable the voice instructions from Roku. I have no sound bar. Volume set on medium. Any suggestions please?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@harri

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, pressing the * button four times does not enable voice commands, it enables/disables the text-to-speech screen reader.

For more information, visit our Support page here: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
EBlushinsky
Reel Rookie

Lady announces "unmuted" everytime I unmute?

Everytime I unmute, she announces it. Sometimes she adds the volume level. I went to unplug Roku and she announced that, too. There is no "Accessibility" option in my Systems menu and no options to turn this off under "Captions". I also tried the four quick presses of the star button. Nothing works! I hope someone here can help me. Also still doing it after rebooting Roku. Thanks in advance!

Elaine

harri
Binge Watcher

Thanks Danny, I seem to have disabled the voice screen reader a few days ago. Since last night my France 24 Premium in French, which had been fine, doesn’t launch. Did Roku change the relationship? I checked all the settings and my subscription and told the channel. Sometimes launches sound and then crashes. And no, I don’t want the one on Haystack in English or non premium in English and Spanish. Do you think you can fix it please?

0 Kudos
KJSS
Roku Guru

Re: Lady announces "unmuted" everytime I unmute?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@harri

Thanks for the post.

For your channel playback issue, can you please provide more details about the issue you are experiencing? How are you accessing the content that you seeing this issue with?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SL500babe
Reel Rookie

I had the same problem. My only resolution was to go back to my Roku stick. I tried everything suggested. I removed the channel, reset my Roku and added the channel back to the menu and it still persisted. I think it's a bug in the Roku Express 4k. I also could not find a volume control on the Express. Not happy with the Express 4k.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@SL500babe 

There are no volume capabilities/features on the Roku devices themselves.  Any volume control is a feature controlled by the Roku Remote that ships with the Roku device.

Roku Simple Remotes shipped with devices will not have TV controls like volume and power.

Roku Voice Remotes shipped with devices will have TV controls. 

-----

Roku devices and models (2017 - current) should be capable of using the Voice Remote as an ugrade.

Current List of Roku Voice supported models from https://support.roku.com/article/360010940514

Roku TV™  all models 
 Roku Streambar®  9102 
 Roku Streambar Pro  9101R2 
 Roku Smart Soundbar  9101 
 onn.™ • Roku Smart Soundbar  9100 
 Roku Express  3900, 3930, 3960
 Roku Express+  3910, 3931 
 Roku HD  3932 
 Roku Express 4K  3940 
 Roku Express 4K+  3941 
 Roku Streaming Stick®  3600, 3800 
 Roku Streaming Stick+  3810, 3811 
 Roku Streaming Stick 4K  3820 
 Roku Streaming Stick 4K+  3821 
 Roku Premiere  3920, 4620 
 Roku Premiere+  3921, 4630 
 Roku Ultra  4640, 4660, 4661, 4670, 4800, 4802 
 Roku Ultra LT  4662, 4801 
 Roku 2  4210 
 Roku 3  4200, 4230 
 Roku 4  4400 

----

If you run into issues using Roku devices, feel free to post them in the forum.  Sometimes the different settings and features can be difficult to locate and can be spread between both the Roku settings and the different channel/app settings.  In some situations, settings can be overridden by one or the other complicating the issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos