Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teduardo
Binge Watcher

Re: “Allow Access to External Media”

It could be a security feature to prevent a USB from infecting a Roku with a virus, if that is possible.

However, I would like a setting to disable this.

Matty3
Reel Rookie

I just want to know how to get RID of this "Allow Access to external media" that keeps popping up every time when I keep installing it to my tv.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Matty3 wrote:

I just want to know how to get RID of this "Allow Access to external media" that keeps popping up every time when I keep installing it to my tv.

Until Roku adds a setting that makes the permission persistent, the only way to avoid the message is to leave the media plugged in. I have a USB drive plugged into my Ultra and I've never seen the message, other than when I first connected it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

To the contrary; leaving the device plugged in just means the prompt comes up every time I turn the TV on.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Mine has never popped up again. Mine is powered on at all times, but turning the TV and AVR off and on has never triggered the notice. I has an OS update yesterday, and there was no message when it rebooted. I just rebooted it again just now, and there was no message after it restarted. I even went into RMP and selected the USB drive. No message. 

Dan

0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

Yours a stick? Mine is a small portable hard drive with a cable and all.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, I'm using a USB stick which gets its power from the Roku.  If your portable drive is being powered off when the TV is not in use, then I could see the message appearing when you power it back up. The solution is to not power the drive from a USB port on the TV, since it will power off when the TV is turned off. If your drive is powered at all times, I have no explanation, as mine simply doesn't behave that way.

Dan

0 Kudos
SekhmetScion
Reel Rookie

I've been thoroughly aggravated by this new pop up alert as well. It triggers from my USB flashdrives, but only after I plug it in after removing. My immediate, first impulse response is "do not allow" because why would I want random apps/streaming channels reading it? What are doing with said information? The only thing I want to access the media device is Roku's Media Player. I have a TCL tv with Roku as the operating software, basically a Roku tv. Wish it gave us the option to limit what reads the flashdrives.

0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

No, that’s a whole different complaint.

Of course the device needs permission to read your drive in order to play the media.

0 Kudos
SekhmetScion
Reel Rookie

If they specified it was only for the built-in media player, that'd be fine. If memory serves, a plural was used instead of a singular (apps, channels, etc).

0 Kudos