Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dory
Reel Rookie

2 Roku devices (Streaming stick and an Ultra) on 1 TV

My TV has 4 HDMI inputs. I am currently using a Roku Ultra on one of the HDMI inputs. I bought the Ultra to replace a Roku Streaming Stick. I am wondering if I can reuse the Streaming Stick and connect it to one of the 3 remaining HDMI inputs. I believe the Ultra remote uses infrared and the Streaming Stick remote uses RF - I might be wrong. That would allow me to control both Roku's with its own remote control

I have a Tablo and I use Frndly and Philo - all via Roku. It takes many button pushes to change from "service" to "service". If I use the TV remote it takes just 3 button pushes to go from one HDMI port to the other.

I could very well be missing an obvious problem with this approach. 

I did try searching but didn't find anything on this forum, but maybe I didn't use the correct search terms.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Re: 2 Roku devices (Streaming stick and an Ultra) on 1 TV

Um... I see a lot of statements in your post but no questions. 

So what exactly are you asking?

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I've used two Rokus connected to the same TV before at the same time too, the Streaming Stick and the Ultra.

The remote you have paired to the Stick won't activate the Ultra if it isn't paired to the Ultra, but if it has the sensor at the top that works with infrared then it will. But the Ultra remote won't activate the Stick because it's behind the TV and has no line of sight.

The easiest way to solve this potential issue is to simply unplug whichever Roku you are not using at the moment and keep the one plugged in that you are using. That is what I did when having two Rokus connected to the same TV. I had no issues with the wrong remote activating functions on the wrong Roku because only one was plugged in at a time.

Dory
Reel Rookie

Sorry, I guess my question is/was: a) has anyone successfully done what I was describing, b) what are peoples suggestions if they have done what I described. Based on another reply (just 2 replies as I write this) someone has done this. Thanks for pointing out I did not ask any questions, it totally escaped me.

0 Kudos
1zodiac
Roku Guru

Stick - RF

Ultra - both RF and IF

If there is an issue using the same remote,you can buy the IF only remote ($9.99) to use with the ultra.

0 Kudos
1zodiac
Roku Guru

You can also use the app on the phone and switch between the two,though you need to be on the same network.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.