Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksklo
Reel Rookie

ethernet connection not working

I have a tcl roku tg (roku tv 8116X, tcl model 32S327) and i am trying to connect to wired wi-fi. I connected the ethernet cord to the tv through an ethernet adapter and the usb insert on the tv, however i cannot connect it to my tv because when connecting to a network it will only let me do a wireless connection, it won’t let me chose an ethernet connection. help !!!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: ethernet connection not working

How are you doing? @ksklo,

The Roku Community extends a warm welcome!

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. We are happy to assist you with your Ethernet connectivity issue.

If a connection to the internet was not established during Guided Setup or your network changed, and you need to update the connection, access the Settings menu on your Roku device using the instructions below:

1. Press Home on your remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Set up a connection.
  5. Choose Wired
  6. If you select wired, your Roku device will automatically connect to your network and the internet.

Please keep us updated on your findings, and we would be pleased to assist you further. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Arjiemar 

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@ksklo, what USB Ethernet adapter are you using?  I don't think just any one will work.  In fact, I don't see Roku TVs mentioned anywhere here:

How do I use USB to connect my Roku® streaming device to a wired network? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Channyah

Where do I find an erhernet USB adapter for a ONN 3w in roku tv 720p

0 Kudos
ksklo
Reel Rookie

it’s from insignia, roku tv is the type of tv that i have, not just the plug in roku

0 Kudos
ksklo
Reel Rookie

when i go to connect a network it doesn’t give me a wired network option, only wireless. It has not been previously connected to a network 

0 Kudos
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Hate to say it, but I'd surmise TCL went cheap on the build and didn't provision an Ethernet circuit inside their box, neither a direct RJ-45 port nor a USB profile for Ethernet. I did look up the model number and read what I could about the specs, it seems to imply TCL supports only wireless 802.11.  Be aware the USB standard specifies many different functions but manufacturers choose which functions to provision/install, thus the Roku chart showing which of their plugin boxes support Ethernet USB adapters.

I own an older Sharp brand Roku TV which includes an RJ-45 port for Ethernet connection, and many of the early generation Roku TVs did as well; 6 years along and it seems the trend is eliminating less used features to scrimp on cost.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.