Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Imatk
Reel Rookie

eARC Stopped Working After Working Just Fine

ARC was working just fine for about three days and now all of the sudden it no longer works.
It must have been an update because I turned the TV on and the speakers were set to "On" which I had previously disabled.
Now it won't recognize my receiver.
I have a TCL Roku Television.
Things I've tried that haven't worked:
Three different HDMI cables (to make sure it wasn't the cable)
Factory Reset
Turning on 1-touch
Turning off 1-touch
Scanning for CEC devices multiple times
Turning on Standby
Turning off Standby
Setting the audio to "Passthrough"
Setting the audio to "Auto"
------------------
Nothing seems to work and it worked last night when I went to bed.
Thanks for any help

14 REPLIES 14
dontlikethistv
Reel Rookie

Re: eARC Stopped Working After Working Just Fine

Don't have an answer but similar issue.  Had set up soundbar with HDMI/optical (ARC works only intermittently).  Everything was working.  Remotes controlled TV and soundbar.  Audio set to Auto.  Bought a Roku Voice remote that was to work with the Roku TCL TV.  Remote was working, then realized not controlling soundbar.

Have factory reset TV/audio, have turned all off and all on again, unplugged and replugged the connections (which all worked fine before).  Setting audio to Auto or Optical gets the sound to the soundbar, but the TV remote cannot control it.  

CEC setting reveals the TV does not "see" the soundbar.  It "saw" the soundbar fine before I used the new Remote.  (The soundbar wants HDMI connection set on the soundabar, but we always used TV.  Nevertheless, reset soundbar to HDMI connection, but then no sound to the soundbar at all).

This TCL Roku TV has been frustrating beyond belief.  How could a remote turn off CEC connection?  Is this just another TCL Roku TV glitch (in addition to the ARC function does not work reliably).

0 Kudos
Imatk
Reel Rookie

I "fixed" the problem, but it's not really fixed.
Basically if I have any other HDMI port in use the eARC will stop working.
If it's working and I plug in something through HDMI (in my case a blu ray player) it will continue to work until I turn the TV off.
When I turn the TV off the receiver does not power down (as it should)
And when I turn the TV back on... doesn't work.
If I keep everything else unplugged from HDMI it works just fine. Which explains why it was working and then stopped (I bought a Blu Ray player)
Sigh.

FB5
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the tip. That worked for me too. It "DEFINITELY" isn't a fix and I hope Roku is working on a solution. To have to disconnect my other (3) HDMI connections every day I turn the TV on is ridiculous. 

Come on Roku, your software isn't that complicated. Please provide a REAL fix to whatever was broken. It worked just fine a week or so ago. 

Thank you for posting your findings. Cheers! 

Nsem
Reel Rookie

I am experiencing the same issue with my Sonos Arc. The only fix I could find is either resetting the TCL TV or going to cec settings and updating connections. Pulling out the other hdmi inputs would infuriate me. 

Honestly I find this unacceptable and if I could return this TV I would. I am definitely not purchasing another Roku product again.

0 Kudos
FB5
Reel Rookie

Update to my issue:

I posted my issue directly to Roku tech support and they responded almost immediately. They offered several suggestions which made me notice that one of the HDMI cables was (probably) not an HDMI 2.0 cable. I went into the configuration settings for that audio port and set it to "Compatible". That solved the problem. I suppose that the recent patch on October 30 made a change to the HDMI requirements. 

Anyway hope this helps someone. Cheers! 

0 Kudos
Nsem
Reel Rookie

I’ve tried this as well but with no luck. I was on the phone with TCL support and they were baffled as well. They are “escalating” this issue but most likely it’s a software issue that I hope Roku is looking into. 

0 Kudos
dontlikethistv
Reel Rookie

As you may recall, our issue now is the lack of CEC.  (We gave up on ARC, use optical).  After spending an hour on TCL support line, reset TV, power cycling it and the soundbar, the TV "saw" the soundbar again.  The tech told me to use ARC.  He also told me to set the soundbar on HDMI, which worked.  At first it worked - then it did not, so we set the soundbar back to TV.  ARC worked, then did not so went back to optical after about a day.  CEC was working. 

This morning, turned on TV and no soundbar.  Realized the remote was not turning the soundbar on.  After some fiddling, got the soundbar to work, but remote will not control the volume, etc.  Turning off the TV with remote, however, DOES turn off the soundbar.

So I did what I recalled from the very lengthy tech call (turn all off, power button pushed while off on TV, then on soundbar, disconnect HDMI cord, flip the Hdmi cord, turn TV back on, turn soundbar back on, plug in hdmi/optical).  Same behavior.

We did plug in a DVD player recently, but CEC worked after that for a couple of days (by worked, I mean the TV remote controlled the soundbar as intended, still on optical for sound).  So, will try unplugging the DVD player, and turning all off, etc., but I doubt that will work.  However, as it is apparent what "worked" before was random, certainly worth a try, thank you for posting!

0 Kudos
dontlikethistv
Reel Rookie

Update - unplugged the DVD player, put the soundbar HDMI into HDMI 1.  Still no CEC, does not "see" the soundbar.  Went ahead and reset TV, unplugged, did the power cycle, then powered back on.  Same result.

0 Kudos
davids2443
Reel Rookie

I have basically the same problem.  Except my TV/Sony Atmos Receiver worked fine for quite some time.  I have done everything everyone else has and for right now I'm using the OPt for the TV to the Sony.

Best part, the sony is sending the video signal to the TV, no problem from all the sources I have, Directv, 4K Hd Blu-ray, 5 disc dvd/cd.... going into the receiver.  I cannot understand how it all of a sudden cannot "see" the CEC Sony?

Totally baffled.  I've sent a private message hoping they have a solution?

0 Kudos