Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
backhuis
Level 7

audio lag TCL9+ soundbar and TCL r635 on the ARC port

i have a significant audio lag when playing my xbox series S

my xbox is connected to my r635 and my r635 is connected to my TCL 9+ soundbar by ARC

audio setting is on auto passthrough...

when i switch to PCM, it works fine but i can not use Dolby atmos in PCM and i bought this soundbar in part because of the basic atmos effect

i know i can plug it  directly into the soundbar but when i do that , image flicker sometimes

Any workaround?

#TCLr635#tcl9+

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Redfell
Level 8

Re: audio lag TCL9+ soundbar and TCL r635 on the ARC port

For what it's worth, it's not just you. I have the 75R635 and have had nothing but issues with its ARC implementation; massive audio delays, crashes, and more.

The audio delay issue is particularly terrible when using Atmos. There's barely any delay with DTS or 2-channel PCM. I'm assuming (as far as I understand it, at least) that this is because the TV is doing some re-encoding to pass Atmos through ARC which, unlike eARC, does not have the bandwidth to pass "true" Atmos.

It's frustrating at best. The more I tinker with this unit, the more I regret my purchase.

Visitor45763
Level 10

@backhuis wrote: i have a significant audio lag when playing my xbox

There are other (long) threads about this (and no acknowledgement from Roku of any problem). For example:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/The-9-4-Update-has-broken-HDR-and-added-input-lag-on-my-20...

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Roku-TV-Audio-out-of-sync-and-visual-lagging/m-p/517912#M2...

If it were me, I would do a factory reset but tell the initial setup you'll connect to internet later. This seems to use some less adulterated/bloated version of Roku's software. You might find that that works better. If you need to stream, then add an external streaming device to HDMI.

I'm not sure how much that fixes. But, it seems to be the only possible relief (considering how Roku ignores all these problems). It wouldn't hurt anything to try it.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Redfell
Level 8

If it were me, I would do a factory reset but tell the initial setup you'll connect to internet later. This seems to use some less adulterated/bloated version of Roku's software. You might find that that works better. If you need to stream, then add an external streaming device to HDMI.

I'm not sure how much that fixes. But, it seems to be the only possible relief (considering how Roku ignores all these problems). It wouldn't hurt anything to try it.

I will try this tomorrow and will report on, if any, improvements.

Redfell
Level 8

I've reset my 635 and skipped giving the unit access to a network connection. The problem remains - no better or worse than before. Here's a video example. The audio is low but it does show the issue:

https://youtu.be/asomx3tgf10

Of interest is that once I've set it to DTS, Auto passthrough, and then power cycled the TV, the delay in DTS mode is barely noticeable. It doesn't resolve the issue with Atmos, but at least DTS is better than stereo PCM.