Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonbo

Will a Roku Streambar | 4K HDR work with my older Sony Bravia

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm considering a Roku Streambar to bring streaming TV and sound to my vintage 2009 Sony Bravia TV. The TV has HDMI 1.0 (no ARC), and an optical port. The Roku Streambar that I find on Amazon is called "Streambar | 4K HDR". On the Amazon page HDMI-ARC is listed as an interface, but optical is not listed as an interface. I asked the AI provided on the Amazon page if that model Streambar came with an optical interface. I asked 3 times. Twice it said it didn't, once it said it did.

So, does the model that Amazon advertises, I presume it's the latest, come with an optical port or not? I understand I'll need to connect via optical for the Streambar to function with my older model TV with simple HDMI. Is this true?

I'll probably purchase the Streambar if I have some kind of assurance that it will work. My main question, I guess, then is, does the  Streambar listed on Ama, "Streambar | 4K HDR" still have an optical interface? Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Will a Roku Streambar | 4K HDR work with my older Sony Bravia

Jump to solution

Hello! @Jonbo,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about setting up a Roku Streambar on your Sony Bravia TV and are pleased to assist you. Yes, all Roku Streambars have optical cables for TVs that don't support HDMI-ARC ports.

To simplify the setup and use of your Streambar, we recommend using the HDMI port on your TV labeled ARC. Since your TV doesn't have the HDMI port labeled ARC, you need to connect the included optical cable to get audio from your TV and connect the devices to your Streambar.

When using an optical cable, be sure to remove the protective plastic cap from each end before inserting the connectors. Failing to do so may result in a faulty connection or cable or optical port damage.

Please check here for more detailed information on how to set up your Roku Streambar SE or Roku Streambar with a non-Roku TV system.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Will a Roku Streambar | 4K HDR work with my older Sony Bravia

Jump to solution

Hello! @Jonbo,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about setting up a Roku Streambar on your Sony Bravia TV and are pleased to assist you. Yes, all Roku Streambars have optical cables for TVs that don't support HDMI-ARC ports.

To simplify the setup and use of your Streambar, we recommend using the HDMI port on your TV labeled ARC. Since your TV doesn't have the HDMI port labeled ARC, you need to connect the included optical cable to get audio from your TV and connect the devices to your Streambar.

When using an optical cable, be sure to remove the protective plastic cap from each end before inserting the connectors. Failing to do so may result in a faulty connection or cable or optical port damage.

Please check here for more detailed information on how to set up your Roku Streambar SE or Roku Streambar with a non-Roku TV system.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.