Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NotReady4Market
Reel Rookie

Why does my Roku TV keep losing sound?

I've been using one of the new Roku brand of TVs (Roku Select 43") for about a week. I could live with the sound being mediocre because of it being flat screen. But to have the sound malfunction repeatedly is ridiculous -- especially now that I read above that this sort of thing has been happening with Roku for at least four years.

I haven't discovered a pattern to it. I can be in the middle of an episode or newscast on  any app, with the sound working fine, and suddenly the sound disappears. Conversely, the sound might not be working for a while and then suddenly switch back on. I've tried every combination I can think of in the sound settings, but more often than not, nothing improves.

Aside from that, the design of the sound is a big nuisance. There are no sound controls on the remote, so I can't granularly change the volume, or mute it, without going into the submenu for sound settings.

I haven't been able to find a user's manual of the Roku site. Reading the user manual would have made setup easier, and I reading about the (lack of) sound controls would have informed by decision to buy the TV in the first place. 

4 REPLIES 4
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why does my Roku TV keep losing sound?

Hi @NotReady4Market,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We regret to hear about this. We'll be glad to assist you with your audio problem on your Roku TV, but we'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. Please provide us with more details.

• Do you have any other device(s) connected to your TV? (e.g., speakers and other sound systems).
  • Is this happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel?
  • What type of remote are you using right now? (Simple, Voice, or Voice Pro)
  • Are you getting any error messages or error codes while playing content?

In the meantime, please ensure that the software on your Roku TV is up-to-date and restart the system on your Roku TV.

We'll be waiting for your update.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NotReady4Market
Reel Rookie

Thanks for replying, Eunice. Answers to your questions:

• No other devices are connected.
  • The sound has disappeared completely from all content and channels.
  • I'm using a Voice remote.
  • No error messages have appeared.
  • The software is up to date.
  • I restarted the system, and at first that (or just turning off the TV) would restore the sound -- but no longer.
  • I've also tried a variety of sound settings, and at first that helped, but no longer. Sound has been completely kaput for days.
0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @NotReady4Market.

We might need a few more details regarding this. In this case, kindly check your inbox here at the Roku Community, as we have sent you a follow-up message.

Keep us updated from there.

Thanks,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NotReady4Market
Reel Rookie

I finally got the sound working again: Home > Settings > Advanced Settings > Reset Video and Audio Settings (at least, I think that's the sequence; there might be one step missing for getting there).

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos