Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordansmom
Channel Surfer

Watching Local Channels On Roku TV

I am well aware of all the free channels that exist on Roku. I am also aware that the major networks, ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS all have news and weather channels. I am trying to find the regular local channel. The actual ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS so I can watch their drama programming in the evenings. Even using the antenna, I just get a ton of channels that aren't ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS. I live 10 min away from the D.C. network for all these channels, so location isn't an issue. 

Why can't I get anyone to show me how I can watch these channels? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Watching Local Channels On Roku TV

If you are referring to a Roku player, there's no way to watch over the air TV. The Roku does not have an ATSC tuner, so it cannot pick up local broadcasts. For that you need a Roku TV, which combines a Roku player within a regular ATSC TV with tuner. 

If I'm still not understanding the question, please elaborate on what you are attempting to do. Also, exactly what model Roku do you have?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
roachp99

Get an antenna HDTV antenna, plug into the TV.

If you live 10 minutes away you should get all the local terrestrial HD channels.

atc98092

@roachp99 he's asking about using a Roku, not a TV. But you are correct if he's using a TV with a tuner, and not a monitor without a tuner.

Dan

0 Kudos
jordansmom
Channel Surfer

Sorry if I'm not clear. I have a TCL Roku TV. I hooked up an antenna and asked it to search channels. I got a ton of channels, but none of them were the National Networks, ABC, CBS, ABC and FOX. Like I said, I live 10 minutes from Washington, DC so I'm close to network affiliates. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks for the clarification. You are doing nothing wrong. If those channels are not appearing, then for whatever reason they are not being detected by the tuner scan. It could be a problem with the antenna, and it could of course be something wrong with the TV. Roku does not manufacture or support the TV hardware. TCL provides hardware support for their devices. 

Depending on location and the antenna used, TV signals can be difficult to detect even when you think they should be strong. VHF and especially UHF signals are highly directional, and any sort of obstruction (terrain or buildings) can completely block the signal. Also remember that with digital TV, the signal is either there, or it's not. The term used is the "cliff effect". The picture is perfect until the signal drops to a certain level, then it's completely gone, as if it dropped off a cliff. You can't get a marginal signal with interference and still see it like you could with the old analog system. 

You might try moving the TV antenna a bit and try again. As mentioned, they are very directional, so even turning the antenna a bit might make a difference. Use a site like antennaweb.org to determine what direction each TV station transmitter is from your location, as well as the distance. You might be surprised at where they are reference your location.

Dan

0 Kudos

How do I add charge TV.? And decade channels they are free channels out of Indianapolis? How do I add these to my free TV watching on YouTube

0 Kudos
atc98092

You can't add online channels yourself. You can contact the provider (such as YouTube TV) and ask them to add it. You can also check the Roku channel store and see if they offer a stand-alone Roku channel.

Dan

0 Kudos