Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baran

Video & TV Cast -- Message pops up every few minutes

Jump to solution

TCL Roku 5103X. Was playing around trying to get mirroring so I could watch Facebook videos on the TV. Installed Chromecast. No luck. Installed Fire TV stick. Still no luck. Also added a casting channel. Now keep getting the following recurring message that pops up every few minutes -- even when the TV is turned off:

"VIDEO & TVCAST

UPGRADE TO PRO TO ENABLE AWESOME FEATURES LIKE REMOTE AND AD-BLOCKER."

I disconnected the Chromecast and Fire TV stick. Removed the one casting channel I'd added. Went to "mirroring" section under Settings and checked "Never Allow." Also unplugged the TV for a few minutes before plugging back in. Nothing worked. Still getting the message every few minutes and the only thing that works to get out of it is to hit the "Home" button. The TV right now is useless and I'm at my wit's end. Can anyone help? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Video & TV Cast -- Message pops up every few minutes

Jump to solution

In Roku OS 11.5, Play on Roku functionality was disabled for non-Roku apps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
twiceover
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Wow, that's crazy.  A channel shouldn't be providing a popup on the home screen.  I've never seen such a thing and maybe Roku should look into what channel closer.  Was it from the channel store?

One thing to note, did you restart after uninstalling the channel?  A channel isn't really removed until the restart happens.

So the TV is off...  It turns itself on to display this message?

amadrigal
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  I'll be watching Netflix and it'll exit the Netflix app, go to a "Play on Roku" screen for like, a second, and go to the ad.

Here are the pictures of what the screens look like.

https://imgur.com/a/eBoGzE8

JQC

Re: Video & TV Cast upgrade to pro -- Message pops up every few minutes

Jump to solution

Same keeps happening to me. But it will happen at any time: of I'm watching Netflix, if I'm watching YouTube. Basically any time I'm using the tv. But happens more at night and more on weekends than on weekdays. Seems to happen more when I'm casting YouTube from my phone. Can make the tv virtually unusable for long stretches. 

Can anyone assist?

Jump to solution

Any one find an actual solution to this problem?

Our Roku started this last night and its now unusable because the dang pop-up won't allow me to get far before popping up.

Did roku get a virus?

baran1

Jump to solution

I deleted all casting apps on cell phone. That seemed to solve the problem. Haven't had any oroblems since then.

amadrigal
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@baran1 wrote:

I deleted all casting apps on cell phone. That seemed to solve the problem. Haven't had any oroblems since then.

yeah, we had to look through everyone’s phones to find the app and in the end we found it on my dads tablet that he rarely uses.

0 Kudos
trun

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. It started this week. In my case it is playing some adult content. It is so annoying and I hope my roku is not hacked. It happened twice so far and I turned off power both the times when it happened. Just removed all channels I do not use. I do not have any casting apps on my mobile. My roommate has a roku as well and planning to check with him if he has any casting apps installed. Hope that resolves the issue. 

0 Kudos
Abb

Jump to solution

I have the same problem! 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I fixed it by accident. I went to settings --> privacy in Roku. There's a checkbox for ad blocker. There was no checkmark. I put the check there and restarted Roku. It didn't fix it. I then took off the check. Nothing. Then Roku restarted by itself and since being back on it's been working. 

0 Kudos