Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThankGodItsFrid
Reel Rookie

Use Philips Universal Remote to control Roku Streambar Audio

Hello, this is my first time posting in this community, so forgive me if I seem to be a little naïve. I've previously bought this Philips remote. I wanted to use the side buttons of this particular remote to control the volume of my recently-bought Stream bar, but there doesn't seem to be a code for it as a soundbar in the manual, and typing in the Roku codes for AUD does nothing. I know this is a third-party product, but I was wondering if there is a way to set this up to control the Stream bar's audio (i.e. some codes I might not have known about, or some kind of remedy to accomplish this). If I can't do this directly, what are my options?

Trusting is being confident of what we hope for, convinced about things we do not see. - Hebrews 11:1
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use Philips Universal Remote to control Roku Streambar Audio

@ThankGodItsFrid 

I never used that Philips remote, but you slide your Roku remote that does control the Streambar audio into the Philips remote, doesn't the side keys press the keys on the Roku remote in affect controlling the volume of the Streambar?

I know of no universal remote preset with CEC Roku commands the Roku Soundbar and Streambars remotes have mapped to the power and volume keys on their remotes. UEI made universal remotes under such brands as One-for-all, Inteset, Onn, and Insignia will give access to those commands after you map 5-digit codes for each command. UEI remotes give you access to advanced codes or EFC's, these are 5-digit codes for individual functions. UEI remotes have had these since the 1980's. I would return the Philips and get the Insignia 8-1 universal remote from Best buy its on sale at half price for $19.99:

Insignia™ 8-Device Backlit Universal Remote Black NS-RMT8D21 - Best Buy

The Roku setup code is 3061, to map the missing audio commands using these codes: Vol Up- 00134, Vol Down-00136, Mute- 00140, and Tv Power-00147:

1. Roku device key:

2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks

3. enter 9 9 4

4. Tap SETUP for one blink

5. enter 5-digit code from above 

6. pick a key

Do the same for other commands, entering a different code in step five, and picking a different key in step six. 

Saying all that, if you have the Streambar connected to the ARC input of your TV, and have CEC turned on, and refesh the CEC devices in your tv settings. Then you don't need the Roku Streambar audio commands at all, just your tv code and its volume will control your Streambar volume. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ThankGodItsFrid
Reel Rookie

@Tivoburkee wrote:

I never used that Philips remote, but you slide your Roku remote that does control the Streambar audio into the Philips remote, doesn't the side keys press the keys on the Roku remote in affect controlling the volume of the Streambar? 

No, it doesn't. Also, I'm not entirely sure my TV has CEC control, as it's an old model. Here's my TV, as well.

Some detailed specs, thanks to Consumer Reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/products/tvs-28963/tvs-28700/samsung-un32j4000-373063/

Manual from Samsung: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201504/20150402103030928/J4000-ZC_BN68-07180C-01ENG-03...

Trusting is being confident of what we hope for, convinced about things we do not see. - Hebrews 11:1
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Then get the UEI remote I linked to, the codes you map are IR commands thast the Streambar will respond to. Best buy has 3 and 5 device versions of the Insignia but at this time they are more expensive then the 8 device one linked. There is also the Inteset 422-3/4 on amazon:

Amazon.com: Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote for use with Apple TV, Xbox Series X...

Or the Onn 6 universal remote at Walmart:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Both the Inteset and Onn universal remote use the same codes and directions I listed as Insignia. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

If the philips is a learning remote, I haven't checked, of course it can't learn from wifi remote. But if you unplug the Streambars power, its remote will switch to IRand can be used to teach a learning remote. Once you power the Streambar back on, its remote will be Wifi again, and still accept IR commands from the universal remote. 

Edmund

RobertS83
Reel Rookie

Powering off Srtreambar then programming the Universal remote did the trick. My Volume & Mute buttons work fine now.

ThankGodItsFrid
Reel Rookie

With the same remote as mine? I only have three Roku streamer codes, and none of them work for audio. Do I use a code for another device?

0 Kudos
RobertS83
Reel Rookie

I made a mistake, I actually reprogrammed my replacement Roku remote, not the Phillips remote. Sorry

0 Kudos